Witches are a huge part of folklore and history. History has many thousands that were executed because of witchcraft and most of the time they were as innocent as the last person. They didn’t know what spells were or curses but somehow found their way to the gallows. Even in this age, people are executed for witchcraft though in most countries it’s now more openly practiced.
The witch in general in most common legends is an old crone that likes to kill crops and hurt her neighbors. Let’s hope that’s just a fallacy. So anyway read the facts about this spellcaster.
- Most common legend about witches is they have long noses, warts, and keep black cats.
- Scandinavian folklore tells of a witch who lives alone in a cottage in the woods. The witch brews potions and can summon animals of the woods. If she gets gifts she will help you in return.
- Witches can conjure the dead.
- Witches ride on broomsticks and pitchforks.
- Malles Maleficarum was an infamous witch-hunting manual that was written in 1486.
- Witches make a pact with the devil.
- Medieval legends believed that witches were cannibalistic.
- White witches are healers.
- Hecate is the Greek goddess of witchcraft.
- Male witches are called warlocks.
So those were eleven facts about the witch, a favorite for many to dress up as during Halloween.