The dhampir is part of the vampire lore. The dhampir was and still in some cultures popular and mostly because in most legends they are vampire hunters. "Vampire Hunter D," and and the "Vampire Academy" series have used this legend. So here are some facts:
- A dhampir according to Balkan folklore is the child of a vampire and of a human.
- Albanian legends say that a dhampir has untamed hair that is normally black or brown.
- They lack shadows.
- A dhampiresa in other regions is the female version of dhampir.
- Bulgarian folklore say they have a soft body, no nails, and no bones.
- In some lore and stories, the dhampir is either portrayed as a vampire's servant or as a vampire hunter. Some stay on the dark side while others are skilled enough to attack vampires.
- The word dhampir is derived from the Albanian language.
- Some folktales tell that they have all the powers of the vampire but none of the weakness.