If you didn't know yet, today is the dreaded, "Friday the 13th" if you are a superstitious person that is. Some of us just shrug our shoulders and say just another day, while others are terrified out of their minds. Whatever kind of person you are, here are some facts about today, Friday the 13th.
- The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia.
- Between 17 and 21 million Americans have a phobia of Friday 13th, according to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in North Carolina. (Source: Medical News Today)
- Friday, the day itself has been considered an unlucky day for centuries. Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales," references this.
- Italy has Friday the 17th as an unlucky day while Spanish speaking countries believe that Tuesday the 13th is an unlucky day.
- Some hotels and hospitals like to skip the 13th floor because of the superstitions of the number.
- A 1869 biography of Giochino Rossini tells of how he died on Friday the 13th and how unlucky the day is.
- Fidel Castro was born on Friday the 13th, in Aug. 1926.
- The film, "Friday the 13th," was released on May 9, 1980.
So those are just some facts about this unlucky day. It's not a day to always take so lightly, if you must get a rabbit's foot or some horseshoes because you just never know!