The Journal News, the Gannett-owned newspaper that published an interactive map with the names and addresses of handgun permit holders in two New York counties, has hired armed guards to watch over their building, the Rockland County Times reported Tuesday.
"A Clarkstown police report issued on December 28, 2012, confirmed that The Journal News has hired armed security guards from New City-based RGA Investigations and that they are manning the newspaper’s Rockland County headquarters at 1 Crosfield Ave., West Nyack, through at least tomorrow, Wednesday, January 2, 2013," Dylan Skriloff wrote.
According to Skriloff, Journal News Rockland Editor Caryn A. McBride "was alarmed" by the volume of “negative correspondence” the paper received.
Despite the massive influx of phone calls and emails, Skrilkoff reported, RGA administrator Richard Ayoob said in late December there had been no problems at the Journal News headquarters.
McBride, however, filed two reports with the Clarkstown Police Department over perceived threats, but Skriloff said, "the police did not find the communications in question actually threatening."
The paper had planned to publish another article with the names and addresses of handgun permit holders in a third county, but Putnam County officials announced they will not comply with the paper's Freedom of Information Act request.
"No word yet on whether Journal News plans to release the names and addresses of its armed guards," The Blaze reported.
"Guns are good for the goose," Skriloff wrote, "but NOT for the gander."
- Company runs out of AR-15 magazines, blames ‘sheep leftists’
- Des Moines columnist calls for repeal of Second Amendment, death of gun owners
- Report: CNN's Piers Morgan upset Americans posing with guns in Christmas photos
- New York paper to publish more legal gun permit holder information
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio sending armed volunteer posse to protect schools
- Daily Beast op-ed: David Gregory should not be prosecuted for breaking gun law
- Email indicates NBC used illegal magazine on air after being denied permission
- Authorities investigating NBC's David Gregory for gun law violation
- Gun debate pits liberals, media against Constitution, freedom-loving Americans
- Report: NBC's David Gregory violated D.C. gun laws on 'Meet the Press'
- WH petition calling for deportation of CNN’s Piers Morgan reaches 25,000 signature threshold
- New York paper publishes names, addresses of legal gun permit holders
- Piers Morgan: NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre ‘dangerous, dim-witted, deluded menace’
- Ted Nugent to Piers Morgan on gun control: ‘Kiss my a**’
- White House petitions demand NRA be designated a terrorist organization
- New York Governor: Confiscation of guns ‘could be an option’
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Is it time for conservatives to boycott CNN for anti-Second Amendment propaganda?
- Classmate: Newtown shooter Adam Lanza had web page dedicated to Satan
- CNN’s Piers Morgan upset over White House petition calling for his deportation
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members after NRA press conference (Video)
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to America: Turn in your guns
- Meet six people who would not be alive if liberals had their way on guns
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members are shot dead
- Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- Should an apology from a Democratic Party Executive Committee member cover calls for mass shootings?
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
Be sure to check out some of Joe's other columns:
National Crime and Courts Examiner