If you want to be ready to bake almost anything, here are a few staples you should have stocked in your pantry.
- Baking powder and baking soda – used as leavening agents to make dough rise – some recipes call for one or the other, and some for both.
- Chocolate chips or other flavors of baking chips – perfect for throwing into cookies or melting for coating.
- Cinnamon – one of the most commonly-used spices in baking.
- Flour – all-purpose flour (bleached or unbleached) will satisfy most baking needs.
- Salt – used for flavor.
- Sugars – white, brown and confectioners’ (powder or 10X) are the most commonly used.
- Vanilla extract – to add a touch of flavor to your recipe.
- Vegetable oil - for use in recipes and for frying when needed.
In the refrigerator:
- Butter – many recipes call for unsalted butter.
- Eggs – large is the most popular size used in recipes.
- Yeast (must be refrigerated after opening) – used in breads for rising.
Check out all of Paula’s Buffalo Examiner columns:
- Buffalo Events
- Buffalo Sports Travel
- Buffalo Travel
- Buffalo Gardening
- Buffalo Baking
- Buffalo Motorsports
Follow Paula on:
- Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance
- Twitter - @paulat14
- Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
- Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com