Once again the color prognosticators at the Pantone Color Institute® have looked into their fashion crystal ball forecasting Tangerine Tango to be the color of the year for 2012. A zesty step forward from Honeysuckle, last year’s candidate, Tangerine Tango is an invigorating blend of red and yellow.
It’s not really surprising that Tangerine is the target. Hues in the orange family have increasingly worked their way into both home décor and apparel fashion. Orange surreptitiously began to infiltrate home fashion attached to cookware – orange pots and pans and orange spatulas and oven mitts. The color then expanded to small appliances – orange toasters and mixers, orange waffle makers and juicers.
Now this spicy color has achieved legitimacy as Tangerine Tango. No doubt soon it will be seen covering accent pillows, area rugs and vases. To be sure, a tangerine sofa fabric is not far behind.
“Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it,” noted Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute® in a December 2011 press release. “Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.”
To select its annual color of the year, the Pantone Color Institute® evaluates a variety of global, industrial, technological and cultural influences impacting color.
Previously named annual top colors include –
• PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
• PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
• PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
• PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
• PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
• PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
• PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
• PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
• PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
• PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
• PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
• PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)
Disagree? What’s your color of the year 2012?