Daily tensions between the Palestinians and Israelis has become a way of life in the constantly troubled Middle East. Al Jazeera reported on Oct. 19, 2013, "Israeli settlers accused of destroying Palestinian olive trees." According to the Palestinian Authority (PA), Israeli settlers chopped down more than 100 olive trees near the West Bank city of Nablus on Saturday.
This is a very troubling incident at a time when the Palestinian olive harvest is at its peak. Ghassan Daghlas, a PA official who tracks incidents of settler violence, has alleged the Israeli settlers destroyed the trees in Qaryut village early Saturday. Daghlas says the settlers used chainsaws to cut the trees down at the base. The farmers, who had been nourishing the olive trees for years, were shocked by the sight of the chopped down trees.
FARS News Agency has reported, "Settlers Destroy More than 100 Olive Trees near Nablus." Nablus mayor Jibreel al-Bakri has denounced this destruction, and he has urged Palestinian farmers to continue harvesting olives even in the face of the frequent settler attacks. The Palestine Center, which is a Washington based nonprofit organization, says that every year the olive harvest period sees the highest peak in attacks on Palestinian civilians and property.