Friday night's can be hectic and crazy as the end of the week is finally here! If you are catholic this means you are observing the Lenten Season which means no meat friday! Given the paleo diet can be difficult to find something that is meat free and still hearty. Well have no fear I have made a recipe for black bean cakes that are paleo and gluten free that are full of flavor and great for any day you need a quick 30 minute meal.
Black Bean Cakes
(Adapted from Cooking Light September 2012)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large egg or a 1/4 cup of applesauce (if you are vegan or have an egg allergy)
1 (15 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups of cooked lentils
½ cup gluten free cracker or bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped green onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove chopped
1. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil, egg (or applesauce), black beans, lentils in a food processor. Pulse until it turned into a choppy paste.
2. Mix in bread crumbs, onions, cilantro, cumin, crushed red pepper, and garlic clove into a bowel with the bean mixture.
3. put the rest of the bread crumbs on a dish.
4. Create ½ inch patty from the mixture and dredge in the bread crumbs.
5. Cook on a skillet or pan for about 3-4 minutes per side or until the outside becomes golden brown.
Serve with a salad and enjoy!!