The weather has been frigid and snowy. On dreary days like this doing crafts with your child can be a fun way to pass the time. Using materials that can be found around your home you can make a creative, educational, beautiful piece of art hand made by your child. The painted rock craft is ideal for a day in from the blustery weather.
- Some small rocks
- Thick water-based paint (acrylic)
- Paintbrushes or sponges
- Water, old margarine containers
- Some magic markers
- A container of white glue
- Some newspapers to keep your work area clean
- Clean all the dirt off of your rocks and let them dry.
- Decide what you are going to create - a picture, an animal, a funky paper weight... it's all up to you!
- Begin painting your rock with the designs and colors of your choice. If you like, you can draw some lovely pictures using magic markers instead of paint.
- When you are all finished decorating and the paint is completely dry, it's time to seal the rock. Do this by mixing some white glue with a little bit of water.
- Brush some of the water/glue mixture onto your rock to seal in the beauty.
- You are finished and you can move on to the next one... and the next... and the next!
Note: If you are going to paint rocks to leave outside, make sure you use a biodegradable, environmentally-friendly water-based paint!