Headley had asked for $10.3 million, while the Padres had offered $7.075 million, so they met roughly in the middle. General Manager Josh Byrnes told the media, "We're happy it's done. Chase earned his salary."
Headley, 28, set career highs in nearly every offensive category in 2012, hitting .286 with 31 doubles, 31 home runs and 115 runs batted in. His 115 RBI led the National League, making him just the second player in Padres history to lead the league in RBI, joining Dave Winfield who did so with 118 RBI in 1979. Headley was the NL's Player of the Month for both August and September.
Following the season, Headley finished fifth in NL Most Valuable Player voting. The switch-hitter also took home his first career Rawlings Gold Glove and Louisville Silver Slugger awards. Since joining the Padres in 2007, the homegrown slugger has hit .273 with 139 doubles, 10 triples, 67 home runs, 319 RBI, and 61 stolen bases in 690 games.
Byrnes said the sides discussed a contract extension beyond 2013, but it wasn't coming together in time. Players begin reporting to spring training Feb. 12.
With Wednesday’s agreement the Padres have one arbitration-eligible player remaining: left-handed pitcher Clayton Richard, who led the team with 14 victories last year. Both sides' offers are only about a half-million dollars apart, so a deal would seem makeable.