The Monday, January 28, 2013 meeting of the Macon-Bibb County
Planning and Zoning Commission will be held in the 10th Floor Conference
Room, Willie C. Hill City Hall Annex, 682 Cherry Street, beginning at 1:30
Please note that this is a change of venue from the regular location of the
Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission hearing.
The Pre-meeting of the Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission
will be held in the 10th Floor Conference Room, located in the Willie C. Hill City
Hall Annex, 682 Cherry Street, beginning at 12:00 p.m. _________________________________________________________
Election of Officers
Approval of Monday, January 14, 2013 meeting minutes
ITEMS DEFERRED FROM PRIOR MEETINGS:
A. 246 BUFORD PLACE: Certificate of Appropriateness to allow design approval of a
building addition (deck enclosure), HR-1 District. Sidney D. Haynes, Applicant.
1. 5019-5081 RIVERSIDE DRIVE: Proposal to rezone from A-Agricultural District to C-2,
General Commercial District. The purpose of this rezoning is to allow commercial/retail
development. Jarrett Nease, Applicant.
2. 5687 HOUSTON ROAD: Conditional use to allow a school at an existing church, R-1AAA
District. Victory Christian Academy, Applicant.
3. 5630 HOUSTON ROAD: Conditional use to allow outside seating at an existing
restaurant, C-2 District. Dawn M. Palmer/The Hangar, Applicant.
4. 5019-5081 RIVERSIDE DRIVE: Variance in parking requirements, A-Agricultural
District (C-2 Pending). Jarrett Nease, Applicant.
CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS:
5. 1293 CALHOUN STREET: Certificate of Appropriateness to allow design approval of a
single-family dwelling, HPD-BH District. Ryan Griffin/RGD Ventures, Applicant.
MACON-BIBB CO. PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION STAFF REPORT
MEETING DATE: JANUARY 28, 2013
I T E M N U M B E R –A – CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS – DEFERRED ITEM
246 BUFORD PLACE: Certificate of Appropriateness to allow design approval of a building
addition (deck enclosure), HR-1 District. Sidney D. Haynes, Applicant.
On Tuesday, January 22, 2013, the Design Review Board approved the design
and material of the deck enclosure as submitted subject to the planting of a
camellia-like shrub with a minimum height of 6 FT to be installed at the front of
the dwelling, between the new window and the existing column.
· On Monday, January 7, 2013, the Design Review Board reviewed this application. With only
two (2) members present, a consensus regarding the proposed addition could not be met.
Specifically there were questions about how close the addition would be to the adjoining house
to the left of this property and how far toward the front façade would project. The neighborhood
has a variety of side yard setbacks so a pattern could not be readily determined. The basic design
and materials to be used on the building addition were deemed appropriate. The application was
forwarded to the Commission for review on January 14, 2013. At the Monday, January 14, 2013
Commission hearing, this item was deferred to the Design Review Board for review by the full
· Plans are to convert an existing open deck at the above-referenced dwelling into a kitchen
addition. The existing deck extends along the front and left corner of the house. The addition’s
roofline will be a hip-roof with a 3:12 slope. The roofing material will be asphalt shingles that
match the existing roof material. The siding will be lap-siding to match the existing siding. (It
should be noted that the siding material of either the existing dwelling or addition is mentioned.
The Review Board may wish to clarify if it is to wood lap siding, Hardie Board, or another
material.) The addition will include a block foundation wall covered with brick veneer to match
the existing structure, 6 over 1 true divided lite single glaze wooden windows, and louvered
wooden shutters to match the existing structure. The applicant’s detailed information is attached
· The 2035 Future Land Use Plan recommends urban residential use for this property. Section 27A of the Comprehensive Land Development Resolution and the Design Guidelines for Macon-Bibb
County’s Historic Districts were used as references in preparing this staff report.
RECOMMENDED ZONING CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL:
1. Certificate of Appropriateness shall be issued.
2. Design Review Board recommendations shall be imposed.
3. A separate Zoning Compliance shall be issued for the addition.
4. Final site plan details shall be approved by the Zoning Office.
ADDITIONAL DEPARTMENTAL APPROVALS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED:
1. Inspections and Fees approval shall be obtained.
2. Other applicable local, State, or Federal approvals that may apply shall be obtained.