The key to overcoming food temptations and putting an end to food cravings is building negative associations in place of existing positive ones. According to fitness trainer Steve McKinney owner of Fitness and More he has a two-step process.
Step One: Create a strong negative association with unhealthy food
You may not have realized it, but up until this point you've placed unhealthy, fattening foods on a pedestal in your mind. As long as the wrong foods are on that pedestal you'll continue to give into your cravings and will continue to gain fat.
Take the wrong food off that pedestal by listing off everything negative about them:
• These foods make you unhealthy
• These foods cause weight gain
• These foods drain your energy
• These foods kill your confidence
• These foods lessen your quality of life
• These foods damage your love life
Every time that you feel tempted to eat an unhealthy food, focus on your list of negatives. Kick the junk off the pedestal and put something healthy in its place.
Step Two: Create a strong positive association with wholesome foods
Now that your mental food pedestal has been cleared, put truly wholesome food items on it. Juicy fresh fruit, crispy vegetables and savory lean meats are the place to start.
List off the things that you love about healthy food:
• These foods make you healthy
• These foods promote fat loss
• These foods boost your energy
• These foods build your confidence
• These foods improve your quality of life
• These foods enhance your love life
Use the technique above consistently and you will soon find that healthy, wholesome foods are your favorite.