What is the deal with raw olives?
We know olives mainly from our daily cooking in the form of olive oil for pasta or salads. Native to the Mediterranean and West Asia region, olive is known as one of the oldest foods in the world. The olive consumption is traced back to Egyptian and Greek times! Now, olives are highly popular in Greece, Spain and Italy. Olives are said to offer many healthy benefits because of its good monounsaturated fats (MUFA).
The key to tasty raw olives is ripeness and curing. Ripeness makes the difference between a green olive and a black olive. Most unripe olives are green which is tart and slightly astringent. Once ripened, they would turn into black olives which are sweeter and has a more meaty texture compared to its younger green olives. Olives can be cured in many creative and interesting methods. Some olives taste spicy or stuffed with cheese. Olives are mostly brine-cured but some olives can be oil-cured, dry-cured or lye-cured.
If you are new to raw olives, check out Midtown Global Market’s Holy Land. This one visit will change your mind about canned olives forever! The market offers various types of raw olives for sample or purchase. Midtown Global Market’s Holy Land is located at 920 E Lake St G10, Minneapolis, MN 55407.
Here are some of the raw olives varieties that you can find at Holy Land.
1. Stuffed olives – Green olives stuffed with bleu cheese, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapeno and even almond! The firm and tart green olives compliment these stuffing really well.
2. Italian olives- Cerignola red and green olives, purple Alfonso olives and Black Sicilian olives. All of them are equally delicious with a significant meaty texture.
3. Oil-cured olives- Black olives cured with different types of oil
4. Seasoned olives-These green olives are seasoned with garlic, hot sauce or Italian seasoning.
5. Greek olives- Some varieties of green black olives.
6. Middle Eastern specialty olives- Olives from around the world including Lebanon and Jordan
7. Kalamata olives- Jumbo olives which have a soft –bite with salty, sweet taste. Great for people who are new to raw olives. Love it!
8. Medleys- Just a mix of everything!
For more information about raw olives, visit http://www.therawgreek.com/olive-power.