Earlier this year, Hawaii-based Outrigger Enterprises created a splash in the Indian Ocean when they welcomed the first guests to the Outrigger Mauritius Resort and Spa. The deluxe 181-room, all sea-view resort is the company’s 45th property now open or under development in eight countries.
Outrigger purchased the property in May 2013 and has completed an extensive refurbishment program. Ownership of the property gives Outrigger the unique opportunity to share the locally-rich sense of place and discovery that guests look for when they go on vacation.
At a glance:
- Weather-wise, it’s a bit warmer than Hawaii with summer temperatures ranging from about 74 – 91 degrees.
- Wettest months are December - March.
- English is the official language, (although French and Creole are commonly spoken).
- Population is 1.2 million.
- They are 14 hours ahead of Hawaii.
- The Republic of Mauritius is located roughly 1242 miles off the southeast coast of Africa and about 683 miles from the east coast of Madagascar.
- In Mauritius the absolute beachfront property has an idyllic location on the southern tip of the island in the Bel Ombre nature reserve, adjacent to the Heritage Golf Club.
Haven’t researched how to get there from Hawaii yet but, getting to Mauritius from Asia, Australia, the Middle East, Europe and Africa is easy. Direct flights connect Mauritius with Perth, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Paris, London, Dubai, Johannesburg and numerous cities in Africa.
The new Outrigger Mauritius Resort and Spa is surrounded on the landward side by expansive sugar cane plantations. It is a 45-minute drive from the island’s international airport (MRU) and a 90-minute drive from the capital, Port Louis.
Outrigger is hosting an official grand opening ceremony and celebration on April 18.
For reservations visit www.outriggermauritius.com
For information on The Republic of Mauritius, visit www.tourism-mauritius.mu/