The 84th annual Academy Awards will be presented this coming Sunday. With nine movies nominated for Best Picture, Books on Film wonders, will a book win Best Picture this year? In other words, what are the odds that a film adapted from a novel or non-fiction book will win?
Here are the nine nominees for Best Picture this year, according to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences:
- THE ARTIST, Thomas Langmann, Producer
- THE DESCENDANTS, Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers
- EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE, Scott Rudin, Producer
- THE HELP, Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers
- HUGO, Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers
- MIDNIGHT IN PARIS, Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers
- MONEYBALL, Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers
- THE TREE OF LIFE, Sarah Green, Bill Pohlad, Dede Gardner and Grant Hill, Producers
- WAR HORSE, Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
Of those nine, the following movies are adapted from books:
- The Descendants, based on the novel, The Descendants, by Kaui Hart Hemmings.
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, based on the 2005 novel of the same name by Jonathan Safran Foer.
- The Help, based on the novel of that title by Kathryn Stockett.
- Hugo,adapted from the Caldecott Medal winning-novel, The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
- Moneyball, based on the non-fiction book, Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, by Michael Lewis.
- War Horse,based on the novel by Michael Morpurgo and the stage adaptation.
With six out of nine stories coming from the pages of books originally, that gives a 66 percent chance that the Best Picture this year will be an adaptation.
Best Picture last year went to The King’s Speech, which had an original screenplay.
Which movie is your favorite for Best Picture? Did you read the book of that movie? If so, did you read the book before the movie, or after, and what did you think of it?
The 84th Annual Academy Awards will be televised live on ABC starting at 7 p.m. ET. Comedian Billy Crytal is hosting.