Oregon's oldest wine gala began humbly, 43 year ago at the Douglas County Fair by Scott Henry, Richard Sommers and other Southern Oregon wine trailblazers. Now, the Greatest of the Grape is one of state’s snazziest wine celebrations.
The gala is hosted by the Umpqua Valley Winegrowers Association but open to wineries in the Illinois, Applegate and Rogue valleys too. The event in Seven Feathers' grand room has classically trained chefs preparing dishes matched to the best wine offerings from 28 wineries.
Three professional wine judges evaluated one wine from each winery. Deborah Grossman writes for The Wine Enthusiast and Napa Valley Wine. Peter Mitham is the Northwest correspondent for Wines and Vines magazine. Clive Pursehouse is the editor of the Northwest Wine Anthem.
Their decisions will be announced tonight.
But the highlight of this event has always been the announcements of the People’s Choice awards. The more than 600 guests will cast their votes for their favorite wine and food pairings. Who would you choose?
The participating wineries are:
- Abacela in Roseburg
- Anindor Vineyards in Elkton
- Bradley Vineyards in Elkton
- Brandborg Winery in Elkton
- Chateau Lorane in Lorane
- Chateau Nonchalant Vineyards in Roseburg
- Daisy Creek Vineyard in Jacksonville
- Delfino Vineyards in Roseburg
- Foris Vineyards Winery in Cave Junction
- Girardet Winery in Roseburg
- Henry Estate Winery in Umpqua
- HillCrest Winery & Distillery in Roseburg
- J. Scott Cellars in Eugene
- Kriselle Cellars in White City
- MarshAnne Landing in Oakland, OR
- Melrose Vineyards in Roseburg
- Misty Oaks Vineyard in Oakland
- Palotai Vineyard & Winery in Roseburg
- Pyrenees Winery & Cellars in Myrtle Creek
- RoxyAnn Winery in Medford
- Sarver Winery in Eugene
- Season Cellars in Winston
- Sienna Ridge Estate in Oakland
- South Stage Cellars in Jacksonville
- Spangler Vineyards in Roseburg
- Triple Oak Vineyard in Oakland
- Troon Vineyard in Grants Pass
- Wild Rose Vineyard in Dillard, OR
For information, visit www.umpquavalleywineries.org