Democrats in Oregon have introduced a massive gun control bill that if passed, would give owners of rifles, shotguns and pistols deemed "assault weapons" 120 days to either remove the weapon from Oregon, sell it to a licensed firearms dealer, render it inoperable or surrender it to authorities, the Oregon Firearms Association reported Friday.
Those who wish to maintain ownership of those weapons or so-called "large-capacity magazines" must register the weapons and magazines. Registration requires the gun owner to submit to a criminal background check, secure the weapon and "[a]llow an inspector from the department to inspect the storage of assault weapons and large capacity magazines to ensure compliance" with regulations that have yet to be written.
According to the Oregon Firearms Association, the bill comes just days after state lawmakers said they would not seek a ban on firearms.
On Wednesday, the Oregonian said that Sen. Ginny Burdick (D-Portland) said she was backing off of a bill to ban the sale of "gun clips" she drafted after the Clackamas mall shooting in December.
But, the pro-gun group said, Burdick was one of seven senators who joined eight House representatives to introduce a bill it said would ban "virtually all modern firearms."
"The principle sponsor of the bill is House Rep Mitch Greenlick, who in the past has concentrated on such worthy endeavors as banning children in bike trailers and making possession of cigarettes a crime," the post at the gun group's website said.
The provisions in HB 3200 are very similar to those introduced by Democrats in Missouri and Minnesota.
- Missouri GOP rep. uses gun confiscation bill for target practice
- Oregon state senator calls for gun registration, laughs about shooting victim
- Sheriff warns of second American revolution if gun confiscation laws pass
- New NRA ad: Politicians 'don't rule' Americans or 'give us rights'
- Company designs targets with pictures of armed children, pregnant women
- Biden claims shotgun easier for women to use than AR-15; Gun expert disagrees
- Bill by Missouri GOP Rep. would make proposing gun control legislation a felony
- Washington gun control proposal said to violate Fourth Amendment to Constitution
- Annual inspection requirement axed from Washington gun control proposal
- Mexico to ask for registry of guns in border states, national media silent
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Missouri Democrats propose law giving gun owners 90 days to turn in weapons
- Minnesota Democrats pushing gun confiscation bill similar to Missouri's
- Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition
- Arkansas governor signs law allowing concealed guns in churches
- Iowa Democrat: Ban and confiscate semi-automatic guns
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.