Intro: Looking for a chocolate chip scone recipe to put into the romantic Valentine gift basket you're making for your sweetie? Then you'll want to try this delicious scone treat. It brings all the deliciousness of chocolate chips together with a sweet orange flavor for a scone that's perfect for your V-Day gift boxes or baskets.
About the Chocolate Chip Scone Recipe With Orange Flavor
I'll say one thing. I love to bake, and Valentine's Day just brings out the baker in me. Good thing, too. This chocolate chip scone recipe with orange flavor is just the bomb!
It really qualifies as one of those easy scone recipes I like to keep on hand when I have a special occasion. While they look beautiful on a plate, I love to tuck some of these chocolate chip bits of goodness into a gift basket filled with Valentine's candy, some special coffees or even a wine or two.
Finally, if you'd like an extra scone recipe, watch the video to learn how to make blueberry scones with clotted cream.
Here's Some Tips if You're Making Gift Baskets for Valentine's Day:
- Almost anything can go into a basket, but if you add items like homemade velvet cupcakes Valentine's Day cupcakes, make sure you put them into a pastry box. In fact, you might want to make a separate gift box just for these items. It saves on smashed frosting.
- Include other items to complement your chocolate chip scone recipe with orange. I love coffees like French roast, because they're rich and balance out the sweetness of the scones.
- Add some non-food gifts to your romantic Valentine gift basket like a cute quotes frame craft, your sweetie's favorite Valentine movies or some romantic books.
- Bind it with a beautiful bow for special delivery.
How to Make Chocolate Chips Scones With Orange Flavoring
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c. chilled butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp orange peel, freshly grated
- 1/4 c. miniature chocolate chips, semisweet
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the sugar, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter, using a fork. Combine it with the dry ingredients until the consistency looks like meal.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the juice, eggs, orange peel and vanilla together.
- Add the eggs mixture and the chocolate chips to the flour mixture, stirring everything together.
- Knead dough on a floured bread board. Do this about 10 to 12 times, until the dough comes together.
- Roll the chocolate chip scone recipe dough until it becomes about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut the scones with a floured cookie cutter. Use Valentine's Day heart-shaped cookie cutters to keep with the theme.
- Put the scones on a baking sheet, placing them fairly close side-by-side.
- Bake them for up to 15 minutes until they turn light brown. When you stick a toothpick in the center, it should be clean of scone dough when you pull it out.
- Let them cool for another 5 minutes.
- Take them off the baking sheet with a spatula.