Each year the Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas holds LearningFest, a ful day of opportunities to sample a variety of learning experiences at the Ann & Nate Levine Academy. For just $18, you can choose to attend any of the class sessions being held throughout the day, Sunday, March 23, beginning at 9 a.m.
This year’s offerings include ten offerings specific to Jewish history and genealogy. Three of the sessions deal with World War II and the Holocaust. Three sessions concentrate on genealogical resources aimed at finding your Jewish roots. Other sessions touch on Jews in World War I, how to conduct oral histories, Jews in early American history, and the Jewish experience of growing up in small-town Texas.
Here's a list of the topics and course instructors:
- Back To The Basics: Beginning Your Quest In Search Of Your Family's Roots, Meyer Denn
- The Other Shearith Israel: Growing Up Jewish in Small Town Texas, A Panel Discussion
- Jewish Genealogical Research Using Jewishgen Online Website Tool, Meyer Denn
- Hitler's Jewish Soldiers, author Dr. Bryan Rigg
- History of World War I, Dr. Bryan Rigg
- The Hidden World of Crypto-Jews, Rabbi Peter Tarlow
- Preserving Family Memories: How to Capture an Oral History Before It's Too Latem Debra Polsky and Pauline Graivier
- "And You Shall Teach Them Diligently to Your Children": Teaching Children and Young People about the Holocaust, Dr. Sara Abosch and Dr. Charlotte Decoster
- Mayflower, Maimonides, and Why 13s Are Found Only On the $1 Bill, Rabbi Daniel Lapin
- Up From the Ghetto, Holocaust survivor Max Glauben
- The Civil Rights Struggle's Early Years: How Was Our Jewish Community Involved? Harriet Gross and Rosalind Benjet
Register online at LearningFest.com.