The RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie, WI, will begin their summer-long series of open water swims in Lake Andrea this Saturday. The RecPlex and Lake Andrea are the venue for the Pleasant Prairie Triathlon on June 22 and the Iron Girl Triathlon on August 10. The swims this summer will include the swim courses for both triathlons.
The Lake Andrea swims have expanded this year, to include
- Swims every Thursday and Saturday, June through August
- Three swims in September, for those preparing for Ironman Wisconsin, TriRock Lake Geneva, or other late season races
- An earlier start, with two swims in May
- A swim of the Zone Open Water Swim Meet course on June 14
- Swims of the Pleasant Prairie Sprint Triathlon course from the east side of the lake on June 17, 19, and 21
- 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. swims on the Saturday before each race
- Half mile out-and-back swims where participants may swim multiple laps to prepare for longer races
- Cross lake swims following the Iron Girl Triathlon course, with optional swim back (for a total of one mile)
Swimmers will be escorted by lifeguards in kayaks, as well as a rescue swimmer. "Noodles" will be available from the lifeguards in the kayaks before and during the swim for those who need some additional help for the swim.
Cost for the individual open water swims is $10 for RecPlex members, and $15 for non-member. Preregistration is not necessary; you simply pay at the beach. There are also season passes for All Saturdays ($95) and All Thursdays ($90), and an Ultimate Pass for all swims for $174. Passes can be purchased at the Guest Services Desk at the RecPlex.
The Open Water Swim Schedule is:
Saturdays in May
May 17 & 31, 7:00 a.m. Please note that Wetsuits are REQUIRED if the water temperature is below 68 degrees. Swims will be cancelled if the water temperature is below 60 degrees.
- June 7, 7:00 a.m.
- June 14, 6:30-7:30 a.m. – Zone OW Meet Course (note earlier time)
- June 21, 7:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m. - Pleasant Prairie Sprint Course (from RecPlex side)
- June 28, 7:00 a.m.
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 7:00 a.m.
- August 2, 7:00 a.m.
- August 9, 7:00 a.m. & 11:00 a.m.
- August 16, 23, & 30, 7:00 a.m.
- September 6, 7:00 a.m.
- June 5, 12, 6:00 p.m.
- June 19, 6:00 p.m. - Pleasant Prairie Sprint Course (from RecPlex side)
- June 26, 6:00 p.m.
- July 3, 10, 17, 24, & 31, 6:00 p.m.
- August 7, 14, 21, & 28, 6:00 p.m.
- September 4 & 11, 5:30 p.m.
Additional Race Week Swims
Tuesday, June 11 & August 5, 6:00 p.m.
Participants are asked to arrive at least 15 minutes before swim time for registration and a pre-swim briefing. Swimmers enter the water as a group at the time listed; late arrivals will not be allowed to start the swim.
In the event of inclement weather, check the RecPlex homepage calendar for beach closings. In case of afternoon closures, the beach will reopen for the lake swim if conditions allow.
The Pleasant Prairie RecPlex is located at 9900 Terwall Terrace, in Pleasant Prairie, WI. It is approximately 1.5 miles east of I-94, off Hwy 165, just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line. Unless otherwise indicated, all swims start from the Beach Pavilion on the west side of Lake Andrea.
If you would like to be notified when Coach Ken publishes an article, click "subscribe" on this page. You can also read his health and fitness answers and blog on Sharecare.com, view his Wellness Blog, follow him on Twitter, and find his Triathlon and Wellness pages on Facebook. Coach Ken is the Chicago Wellness Examiner, Milwaukee Triathlon Examiner, and Endurance Sports Examiner.