Scallopini, whether prepared with chicken or veal, is a traditional Italian dish. There are many variations of the recipe but they all consist of thinly sliced meat, which has been dredged in flour and sautéed, served with a wine or lemony piccata sauce. The chicken is tender and the sauce is rich in flavor.
This simple but elegant one skillet meal is delicious. While it will appear to have taken much preparation, it does not. This recipe features a lemony piccata sauce.
- 4 chicken breast pieces (3 ounces each), thin-sliced, boneless, skinless
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pound chicken pieces between two pieces of plastic wrap until very thin.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dust chicken pieces with flour, brush off excess.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat, add oil.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook on both sides until done. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- 3/4 pound (5 cups) mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup white wine, Chardonnay is a great choice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- Using the same skillet, add in mushrooms and capers. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Add broth, butter, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in lemon juice.
- Return cooked chicken to pan and reheat, about 5 minutes.
Serve chicken topped with a coating of sauce on a bed of prepared angel hair pasta or fluffy rice.