Here we go again. One could write this story without even knowing the details. Let’s see.
- Distraught emotionally disturbed young man
- Family and friends ignored this signs
“Two roommates of Mr Ciancia told Los Angeles police on Friday they had seen him the day before and he had appeared fine, according to Mr Cummings.”
- Seemed normal when he bought the assault rifle from someplace legal
- Took the gun to California where it is illegal
- Had emotional breakdown and decided to attack TSA agents at LAX
“Mr Ciancia's family in New Jersey told police on Friday they had received a text message from him saying he planned suicide, report US media.”
- Bought a ticket to visit relatives in New Jersey
- Packed his assault rifle and walked through the passenger screening with his shoes off.
- Opened his bag for inspection and shot 2 TSA agents, killing one and wounding another.
- Ran around threatening people before being shot and apprehended
There are a number of troubling issues here, and things to learn about which we do not know:
- Was he a legal American citizen?
- From where did he obtain the assault rifle?
- His roommates knew he owned an illegal weapon, what else is going on there?
- What was he doing in Los Angeles?
- From where did he purchase his ammo?
This is not a "normal" person growing up in America in pursuit of self-reliance. To what extent are people like this the product of their environment, family and community?
“Mayor Garcetti said it was fortunate that the authorities had tackled the suspect because he had been armed with more than 100 rounds of ammunition.”
“LAX shooting: 1 killed, gunman caught, thousands of travelers delayed (+video)
LAX shooting on Friday left one TSA agent dead and several others wounded, before police shot the attacker. The gunman at Los Angeles Airport apparently acted alone. The incident scrambled flight schedules around the country.”