On Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013, V-Day’s 15th Anniversary "One Billion Rising" campaign will be in full effect throughout New York City boroughs expressing, “Enough! Stop the violence against our women and girls now.” Join any one of the events listed below or go online to explore the many more opportunities available to support. (The “V” in V-Day means Victory, Valentine and Vagina.)
ONE BILLION RISING V-DAY ACTIVITIES:
- RISE NYC, V-Day will host a ONE BILLION RISING finale celebration at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, where Eve Ensler performed The Vagina Monologues and launched a global movement on Valentine’s Day 1998. For details and tickets, go to www.onebillionrising.org/risenyc.
- Rising on the Brooklyn Bridge, Dancing Across the bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn, meet at 12 Fulton Street, 8 a.m.
- STEPS To End Family Violence, flash mob and assembly risings in honor of incarcerated women survivors of sexual violence, Harry S. Truman High School, Bedford Hills Correctional Facility, and Rikers Island Correctional Initiation for Women.
- Harlem Rising, 215 W 125th Street, New York, NY, 2nd Floor, 12 – 4 p.m. (Casa Frela Gallery and EmblemHealth Care)
- Dance and Rise NYC Flash Mob, Central Park, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. (Kinesis Project dance theatre and Dancing Flash Mobs NYC)
- Washington Square Park One Billion Rising Flash Mob, Dance to One Billion Rising Anthem, “Break The Chain,” Washington Square Park, 2:14 p.m.
- 2:14 p.m. Walk Out In Times Square, Join staff from MTV and Amnesty International as they walk out of their offices and RISE in solidarity for women and girls everywhere!
- Spirit Freedom Rising, Prospect Park, Long Meadow, Brooklyn, 4 – 7 p.m.
- One Billion Rising at the Nuyorican Poets Café, 236 E 3rd Street, New York, NY 10009, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Union Square Flash Mob, 400+ attendees at Union Square, starting at 6:00 p.m.