When we return to "Once Upon a Time," it's one year after Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) sacrificed his life to stop Peter Pan, and everyone but Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and Henry (Jared S. Gilmore) has been transported back to Fairy Tale Land since Regina (Lana Parrilla) broke her curse, but all is not well, so Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) shows up at Emma's apartment in New York City, but, of course, she and Henry have no memories of their time in Storybrooke. That was part of the deal. So what's a pirate to do?
Examiner.com attended an advance screening of Sunday night's "New York City Serenade" episode in which Regina is reunited with her longtime foe -- the Wicked Witch of the West (Rebecca Mader), who demonstrates it isn't easy being green or greedy, and Hook tries to convince Emma to drink the potion in a little blue bottle to get her memory back.
1. We will find out what happened to Hook in the intervening year and how he got the message to take to Emma. Hook's story will include Blackbeard.
2. When we learn more about the Wicked Witch, whose name is Zelena, and her backstory, we will see that what she has against Regina is kind of a global problem and an internal problem. Those two will definitely get into it.
3. We will meet Glinda (Sunny Mabrey) in the latter half of these episodes. She is still Glinda the Good Witch in that she is positive and has a lot of spirit to her, but the mythology of the four witches will be different than the movie.
4. Christopher Gorham is introduced as a new character in Emma's life named Walsh. But, of course, as this is "OUAT," he isn't exactly who he seems to be and he gets into some serious monkey business.
5. Rumple's fate will not be revealed in the first episode back, but more in the following week.
6. We will get Zelena's origin story told over several episodes and we are going to get a young Cora (Rose McGowan) backstory at some point.
7. The second half of the season is very different in its conception. The Wicked Witch is a driving force, but the world of Oz is a place that you will see and spend a little bit of time, but it is not everyone getting on a ship and going there. There will be a nod to the yellow brick road, and we will see some iconic characters from Oz.
8. We will learn more about Regina's relationship with Robin Hood (Sean Maguire). Whether true love happens or not, it is going to be an interesting road that they travel.
9. We are going to see "The Snow White Family: The Early Years." We will see a little bit of King Leopold (Richard Schiff) when he was younger -- his princely years -- and his interactions with some of the other characters that you may or may not expect.
10. Henry has the heart of the truest believer, and it was his belief in magic that started the story. But when we start the season, he doesn't have any memory of Storybrooke. Not having his memories is something that will be played with.
11. There will be magic in Storybrooke when we return. It won't be as dark as the first half of the season, it will be more in the tone of Wicked -- deliciously fun, but it will have some dark moments.
12. Emma has a lot to deal with in addition to Hook and Neal (Michael Raymond-James). She will be drawn back into a newly cursed Storybrooke with a son who doesn't have his memories. Her heart is all over the place, but her priority is her family. This half of the season will force her to make a decision as to what she wants her life to be. No more hedging her bets.
"Once Upon a Time" airs Sunday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.