Here's what's happening around the Metroplex during the week of March 18:
The buzz this week has to do with none other than the arrival of Firestone Walker in the Metroplex. Makers of some of the most sought after beers among craft beer connoisseurs, they'll find their way to tap walls for the first time at area establishments all week long. A few of the bigger events are noted in the calendar below, including the official DFW launch at the Common Table tonight, but be sure to check out the schedule at the top of the page to see when your local pub is expected to have these award winning brews on tap.
This weekend also marks the return of the Bluebonnet Brew-Off. Now in its 27th year, the Bluebonnet is the largest single site homebrew competition in the country. Festivities include clinics, keynote speakers and the ever-popular "Room Crawl". The event beings on Friday and runs through Saturday. Registration is closed, but walk-up participants are welcome. Check out the website for more details.
Monday, March 18
- The Common Table, Dallas - 5:30 p.m. - Firestone Walker Official DFW Launch Party. Scheduled to be tapped at 5:30 p.m.: DBA, Pivo Pils, Pale 31 and Union Jack. To be tapped at 7:30 p.m.: Double Jack, Wookey Jack, Velvet Merlin and Sucaba.
- The Ginger Man, Plano - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Harpoon Celtic Red*.
- Oak St. Drafthouse, Denton - 7 p.m. - Tap Takeover featuring Lakewood*. Scheduled to be tapped: Lager, Hop Trapp, The Temptress and Brabo's Cut.
Tuesday, March 19
- The Common Table, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Brewsday Tuesday featuring Firestone Walker Launch leftovers.
- Londoner, Frisco - 5 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Petrus Aged Pale.
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Brew Fusion Tuesday featuring Breckenridge Vanilla Porter randallized with caramel coffee beans.
- The Ginger Man, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Harpoon Celtic Red*.
- The Ginger Man, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Breckenridge*.
- White Rock Abbey, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- Mockingbird Taproom, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Flight Night featuring $15 flights from Oskar Blues, including logo glassware with purchase.
- Rugby House, Plano - 7 p.m. - Texas on Tap presents a Saint Arnold Brewing Company Portfolio Tasting and Dinner ($37pp, purchase tickets here).
- Johnny's Icehouse, Frisco - 7:30 p.m. - Beer Club featuring beer and food pairings ($25pp, call 214-619-1112 to reserve)*.
- Lucky Lou's, Denton - 9 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
Wednesday, March 20
- Kegs & Barrels, Plano - 5 p.m. - Weekly Tasting. Selections vary.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 5 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Special tapping of N'Ice Chouffe.
- Ginger Man, Southlake - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Real Ale*.
- Craft and Growler, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Keep the Glass Night featuring Independent Ale Works*.
- Rugby House, Plano - 6 p.m. - Glassware Night*. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Glass Night Wednesdays* featuring Rahr Bucking Bock.
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring an East Coast vs. West Coast Battle between Deschutes and the Brooklyn Brewery*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Stiegl*.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Saint Arnold Santo*.
- Bottle Shop, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Beer College: Beer Styles and Glassware class (for more details, call 214-828-2873).
- Capitol Pub, Dallas - Launch Party for Franconia Double IPA (tentative, check with venue to confirm).
Thursday, March 21
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring a Firestone Walker Tap Takeover. Scheduled to be tapped: Union Jack, Wookey Jack and Double Jack. Bottles of Velvet Merlin and Reserve Porter will also be available.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 6 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- The Libertine Bar, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Stiegl Grapefruit Radler*.
- Zio Carlo, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Glass Night featuring Rahr Bucking Bock.
Friday, March 22
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 4 p.m. - Tap Night. Selections vary.
- Lonestar Beverages, Carrollton - 5 p.m. - Weekly tasting. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Firkin Friday featuring Rahr Snowmacocoageddon.
Saturday, March 23
- Weekly brewery tours (each admission includes a logo glass)
- Franconia Brewing Co., McKinney - 11 a.m. - $5pp (glass optional for additional $5).
- FireWheel Brewing Co., Rowlett - 11 a.m. - $10pp, three 8 oz samples.
- Lakewood Brewing Co., Garland - 12 p.m. - $10pp, four samples.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 12 p.m. - $10pp, four samples.
- Cedar Creek Brewery, Seven Points - 12 p.m. - $7pp, three samples.
- Revolver Brewing Co., Granbury - 12 p.m. - $7pp, four samples.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 1 p.m. - $10pp, three samples.
- Community Beer Co., Dallas - 2 p.m. - $10pp, four samples.
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas - 12 p.m. - Special tapping of Green Flash/St. Feuillien Bière de L'Amitié.
- The Common Table, Dallas - 12 p.m. - Oskar Blues Give Me Beer Can Chicken or Give Me Death Party. Scheduled to be tapped: Chaka, Oskar the Grauch, Ten Fidy, Gubna, Old Chub, G'Night, Deviant Dale's, Barrel Aged Mama's Little Yella Pils and a firkin of Mango Habanero Dale's Pale Ale.
- Craft and Growler, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Texas Let's Talk Craft Beer Bottle Share (see events listing on Eventbrite for more details).
- Deep Ellum Brewery Night at World of Beer Arlington, March 26.
- Ommegang Beer Dinner at Libertine, March 27.
- Great Divide Beer Dinner at Addison Flying Saucer, March 28.
- Texas Tavern League Launch Party at Common Table, March 28.
- Beer and Cheese Tasting at Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, March 28.
- Beer College: American Craft Beers at Bottle Shop, April 3 and 17.
- Big Texas Beer Fest at Fair Park, April 6.
- Week of Wood at Meddlesome Moth, April 8-14.
- Green Flash Beer Dinner at Meddlesome Moth, April 8.
- LUCK/Community Pop-Up Beer Dinner at Bonnel's, April 8.
- Lakewood Tap Takeover at White Rock Abbey, April 9.
- Avery Tap Takeover at Flying Saucer on the Lake, April 10.
- Meet and Greet with Toddy Usry, owner of Breckenridge Brewery, at Meddlesome Moth, April 10.
- Deschutes Art/Beer/Food event at Meddlesome Moth, April 11.
- Deschutes Base Camp Closing Party at Common Table, April 13.
- Fort Worth Untapped at Panther Island Pavilion, April 20.
- Dogfistival III at Common Table, May 4.
- North Texas Beer Festival at Irving Convention Center, May 11.
- Brew Riot in the Bishop Arts District, May 19.
- BeerFeast at Flying Saucer on the Lake, June 1.
Examiner pick of the week
Firestone Walker DFW Launch
* Buy the beer, keep the glass.