Here's what's happening around the Metroplex during the week of January 7:
We've spent a lot of time talking about the recognition received at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF) for a certain Dallas-based brewery, but let's not forget about our friends over in Fort Worth. Rahr & Sons also brought home their first GABF medal this year, a silver for their fine Scottish-style ale, Iron Thistle. To celebrate, they've created commemorative glassware which will be available at various Pint Nights around town. The first of these is on Tuesday night, when Iron Thistle will be the featured beer at the Ginger Man in Fort Worth.
On that same subject, though there's no glassware involved, those who like their Iron Thistle kicked up a notch can head over to the Boiled Owl Tavern on Wednesday for a special tapping of Iron Joe. This brew is a version of Iron Thistle cask-conditioned with Avoca Coffee.
Other notable pours this week include the Common Table's Brewsday Tuesday lineup of vintage Stone Vertical Epics, the Addison Flying Saucer's hump day tapping of Deep Ellum Pollenator, and the Moth's Barleywine Wednesday selection of Live Oak Old Treehugger.
Monday, January 7
- Union Bear, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Mashed-Up Mondays featuring new in-house brews on tap (subject to availability), open to the public brew days (most weeks) and Keep the Glass Night (selections vary)*.
- The Ginger Man, Plano - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Samuel Adams*.
- The Common Table, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pour Man's Beer Dinner featuring a flight of four beers paired with four courses for just $29 (check out the menu here).
Tuesday, January 8
- The Common Table, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Brewsday Tuesday featuring Stone Vertical Epic. Scheduled to be tapped: 09-09-09, 10-10-10, 11-11-11 and 12-12-12.
- Londoner, Frisco - 5 p.m. - Pint Night. Selections vary*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Sierra Nevada Estate Ale.
- The Ginger Man, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Samuel Adams Winter Lager*.
- The Ginger Man, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Rahr Iron Thistle*.
- Lucky Lou's, Denton - 9 p.m. - Pint Night. Selections vary*.
Wednesday, January 9
- Kegs & Barrels, Plano - 5 p.m. - Weekly Tasting. Selections vary.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 5 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Rare tapping of Live Oak Old Treehugger.
- Ginger Man, Southlake - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Real Ale Phoenixx Double ESB*.
- Rugby House, Plano - 6 p.m. - Glassware Night*. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- Boiled Owl Tavern, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Special tapping of Rahr Iron Joe.
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Deep Ellum Pollenator*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Brooklyn and Deschutes*.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Smithwick's*.
Thursday, January 10
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Laughing Dog Anubis Imperial Coffee Porter.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 6 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- The Libertine Bar, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Shiner Wild Hare*.
- Jack Mac's Swill & Grill - 6:30 p.m. - Release party for Four Corner's newest beer, Block Party Porter.
- Zio Carlo, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Glass Night. Selections vary.
Friday, January 11
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 4 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Laughing Dog Bourbon Barrel-aged The Dogfather.
- Lonestar Beverages, Carrollton - 5 p.m. - Weekly tasting. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Firkin Friday. Selections vary.
- World of Beer, Arlington - Firkin Friday featuring Jester King Gotlandsdricka.
Saturday, January 12
- Weekly brewery tours (each admission includes a logo glass)
- Franconia Brewing Co., McKinney - 11 a.m. - $5pp (glass optional for additional $5).
- FireWheel Brewing Co., Rowlett - 11 a.m. - $10pp for three 8 oz samples.
- Lakewood Brewing Co., Garland - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Cedar Creek Brewery, Seven Points - 12 p.m. - $7pp for three beer samples.
- Revolver Brewing Co., Granbury - 12 p.m. - $7pp for beer samples.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 1 p.m. - $10pp for three beer samples.
- Real Ale Tap Takeover at Oak St. Drafthouse, January 14.
- Avery Beer Dinner at Common Table, January 15.
- Lakewood Brewery Night at World of Beer SMU, January 15.
- Squatters/Wasatch Brewery Spotlight at World of Beer Arlington, January 15.
- Lakewood Beer Dinner at The Grape, January 16.
- Community Beer Company Launch Party at Meddlesome Moth, January 16.
- Tap These! Beer Class at Total Wine Fort Worth, January 17.
- Ommegang Beer Lunch at World of Beer Arlington, January 18.
- Tap These! Beer Class at Total Wine Dallas, January 19.
- Grand Opening at Community Beer Company, January 19.
- Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA tapping at Flying Saucer on the Lake, January 20.
- Harpoon Beer Dinner at Park Tavern, January 22.
- Lakewood Tap Takeover at Londoner Frisco, January 25.
- Abita Beer Dinner at Whole Foods Park Lane, January 25.
- MOA Brewery Spotlight at World of Beer SMU, January 29
- Four Corners Brewery Night at World of Beer Arlington, January 29.
- FireWheel Better Brown Ale launch at Flying Saucer Addison, January 30.
- Saint Arnold Beer Dinner at Libertine, January 30.
- Sierra Nevada Beer Dinner at Flying Saucer on the Lake, February 7.
- Valentine's Beer and Chocolate tasting at area Ginger Man locations, February 9.
- Fund the Brew Tour at 903 Brewers, February 9.
- FireWheel Photon Blonde launch at White Rock Abbey and Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, February 12.
Examiner picks of the week
Rahr Iron Thistle