Here's what's happening around the Metroplex during the week of January 21:
This week, World of Beer hosts the Official Grand Opening of its second Metroplex location at 5600 SMU Boulevard in Dallas. Happening on Saturday at 3 p.m., special tappings include rarities from Rahr (Iron Joe, Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer, Imperial Black IPA), Deep Ellum (Darkest Hour), and the new Green Flash/Cigar City collaboration, Candela Rye Barley Wine. They'll also be holding a special raffle to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Prizes include beer and brewery swag, as well as a private tour for 12 at Rahr & Sons.
Also worth checking out, the Londoner in Frisco is having a Lakewood Tap Takeover on Friday night at 5 p.m. All of Lakewood's beers will be on tap, and there will be a variety of glassware to take home with purchase. You'll even have the opportunity to dine on Lakewood infused culinary creations, which will be offered on a special menu prepared especially for the occasion.
Lastly, take note that Four Corners is now having regular brewery tours on Thursday nights. It's something they are calling Small Tour Thursdays, and it features a 90-minute tour and tasting with start times at 4, 6 and 8 p.m. Click here for tickets.
Monday, January 21
- Union Bear, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Mashed-Up Mondays featuring new in-house brews on tap (subject to availability), open to the public brew days (most weeks) and Keep the Glass Night (selections vary)*.
- The Ginger Man, Plano - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Boulevard Tank 7*.
- The Common Table, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pour Man's Beer Dinner featuring a flight of four beers paired with four courses for just $29 (check out the menu here).
- Urban Crust, Plano - 6:30 p.m. - Rahr Beer Dinner ($29.90pp, call 972-509-1400 to reserve).
- World of Beer, SMU - 7 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Rahr Iron Thistle*.
- World of Beer, Arlington - Special tapping of the 2011 and 2012 vintages of Widmer Brothers Brrrbon.
Tuesday, January 22
- The Common Table, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Brewsday Tuesday featuring brews from Victory. Scheduled to be tapped: Moonglow Weizenbock, Ranch Double IPA and Hop Devil Nitro.
- Londoner, Frisco - 5 p.m. - Pint Night. Selections vary*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Ommegang Duvel Rustica.
- The Ginger Man, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Boulevard Tank 7*.
- The Ginger Man, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring a selection from the Duvel Collection*.
- White Rock Abbey, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring New Belgium Fat Tire*.
- Park Tavern, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Harpoon Beer Dinner ($40pp, call 214-446-0710 to reserve).
- Johnny's Icehouse, Frisco - 7:30 p.m. - Beer Club featuring beer and food pairings with Brooklyn Brewery ($25pp, call 214-619-1112 to reserve)*.
- Lucky Lou's, Denton - 9 p.m. - Pint Night. Selections vary*.
Wednesday, January 23
- Kegs & Barrels, Plano - 5 p.m. - Weekly Tasting. Selections vary.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 5 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Rare tapping of Real Ale Sisyphus.
- Ginger Man, Southlake - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Samuel Adams Boston Lager*.
- Craft and Growler, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Keep the Glass Night*. Selections vary.
- Rugby House, Plano - 6 p.m. - Glassware Night*. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Stone Double Bastard*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Adelbert's*.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring Ayinger Celebrator*.
Thursday, January 24
- Four Corners Brewing Co., 4/6/8 p.m. - Small Tour Thursdays ($10pp, click here to purchase tickets).
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Real Ale Sisyphus.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 6 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- The Libertine Bar, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Heineken*.
- Zio Carlo, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Glass Night featuring Rahr Iron Thistle*.
Friday, January 25
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 4 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Rahr Iron Joe.
- Lonestar Beverages, Carrollton - 5 p.m. - Weekly tasting. Selections vary.
- Londoner, Frisco - 5 p.m. - Lakewood Tap Takeover featuring glassware giveaways and a special food menu of items infused with Lakewood brews.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Firkin Friday. Selections vary.
- Whole Foods Park Lane, Dallas - 6:30 p.m. - Mardi Gras Beer Dinner featuring brews from Abita ($30pp, click here to reserve).
- Oak St. Drafthouse, Denton - 7 p.m. - Firkin Friday. Selections vary.
Saturday, January 26
- Weekly brewery tours (each admission includes a logo glass)
- Franconia Brewing Co., McKinney - 11 a.m. - $5pp (glass optional for additional $5).
- FireWheel Brewing Co., Rowlett - 11 a.m. - $10pp for three 8 oz samples.
- Lakewood Brewing Co., Garland - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Cedar Creek Brewery, Seven Points - 12 p.m. - $7pp for three beer samples.
- Revolver Brewing Co., Granbury - 12 p.m. - $7pp for beer samples.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 1 p.m. - $10pp for three beer samples.
- World of Beer, SMU - 3 p.m. - Grand Opening celebration featuring special tappings and a special raffle to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
- Libertine, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Meet The Brewer with MOA founder Josh Scott.
- Barley Wine Week at Flying Saucer on the Lake, January 28-February 1.
- MOA Brewery Spotlight at World of Beer SMU, January 29
- Four Corners Brewery Night at World of Beer Arlington, January 29.
- FireWheel Special #1 Brown Ale Launch Party at Flying Saucer Addison, January30.
- Saint Arnold Beer Dinner at Libertine, January 30.
- Franconia Beer Dinner at Rockfish McKinney, January 31.
- DFW Beer Tasting at Henry's Tavern, January 31.
- FireWheel Special #1 Brown Ale Launch Party at Brix Bar & Grill, January 31.
- Grand Opening celebration at Craft and Growler, February 2.
- Dog Days of Winter at Holy Grail Pub, February 5.
- Oskar Blues Brewery night at World of Beer Arlington, February 5.
- Sierra Nevada Beer Dinner at Flying Saucer on the Lake, February 7.
- Brooklyn Brewery Spotlight at World of Beer SMU, February 7.
- Cedar Creek Beer Dinner at Ten Bells Tavern, February 7,
- Valentine's Beer and Chocolate tasting at area Ginger Man locations, February 9.
- Fund the Brew Tour at 903 Brewers, February 9.
- Mardi Gras Beer & Food Pairing at Allen Wickers, February 11.
- FireWheel Photon Blonde launch at White Rock Abbey and Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, February 12.
- Abita Beer Dinner at Hilton Anatole Media Bar + Grill, February 12.
- Valentine's Beer/Wine Pairing Dinner at Gin Mill, February 14.
- Valentine's Beer Dinner at Holy Grail Pub, February 14.
- Beer and Cheese Pairing at Rahr & Sons, February 14.
- Celebrate Your Love of Beer at Vickery Park, February 14.
- Luck/Four Corners Beer Dinner at Trio, February 17.
- Suds and Smoke at Deep Ellum Brewing Company, February 25.
- Big Texas Beer Fest at Fair Park, April 6.
Examiner pick of the week
Official Grand Opening of World of Beer SMU
* Buy the beer, keep the glass.