Here's what's happening around the Metroplex during the week of February 11:
I'm not sure it qualifies as a perfect storm, but it's a surprisingly robust week for craft beer events here in the Metroplex, what with Fat Tuesday occurring just two days before Valentine's Day this year.
Get the Mardi Gras party started early on Monday night with a beer and food pairing at the Allen Wickers in Plano, then keep things rolling at any number of locales on Tuesday. Louisiana's own Abita Brewing Company will be in the spotlight during special tappings at area World of Beer locations, as well as at the Saucer on the Lake. Yet another beer dinner will also be on the menu, this time at the Media Grill + Bar in the Hilton Anatole.
As for Valentine's Day, there will be no shortage of things to do. Choose from beer dinners at either the Gin Mill or Holy Grail Pub, beer and dessert pairings at Goodfriend and World of Beer Arlington, or enjoy chocolate-infused brews expected to be on tap at the Addison Saucer. The highlight of the night, though, may be Vickery Park's cellar release event. Not only are they offering up vintage bottles of brews like Brooklyn Black Ops and Deschutes The Abyss, they'll also be tapping Lakewood's Temptress, cask conditioned with dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs and raspberries.
Finally, the week almost wouldn't seem complete with a couple of debut releases from local breweries. FireWheel Photon Blond will be on tap Tuesday night at both White Rock Abbey and Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, while Regalement from the Community Beer Company will make its inaugural appearance on Wednesday at Goodfriend.
Monday, February 11
- The Ginger Man, Plano - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring He'Brew Hop Manna*.
- The Common Table, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pour Man's Beer Dinner featuring a flight of four beers paired with four courses for just $29 (check out the menu here).
- World of Beer, Arlington - 6 p.m. - Glassware Mondays featuring La Socarrada.
- The Allen Wickers Sports Pub & Grill, Plano - 7 p.m. - Mardi Gras Beer & Food Pairing ($35pp, call 972-424-2300 to reserve).
Tuesday, February 12
- The Common Table, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Brewsday Tuesday featuring brews from Great Divide. Scheduled to be tapped: Hercules Double IPA, Oak Aged Espresso Yeti, Orabelle Tripel and 2011 Old Ruffian.
- Londoner, Frisco - 5 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Deep Ellum Cherry Chocolate Double Brown Stout.
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Brew Fusion Tuesday featuring Deep Ellum IPA Randallized with Cascade hops.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring Abita Mardi Gras Bock.
- Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Special debut tapping of FireWheel Photon Blonde.
- Mr. G's, Plano - 5:30 p.m. - Beer Tasting featuring brews from Harpoon, Oscar Blues, Brooklyn, Real Ale, Adelbert's and Deep Ellum.
- The Ginger Man, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring He'Brew Hop Manna*.
- The Ginger Man, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Boulevard Irish Ale*.
- White Rock Abbey, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring the debut of FireWheel Photon Blonde*.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Tap Takeover featuring Community, including a free pub glass with purchase*.
- Media Grill + Bar in the Hilton Anatole - 7 p.m. - Abita Beer Dinner (call 214-761-7439 for more information).
- Johnny's Icehouse, Frisco - 7:30 p.m. - Beer Club featuring beer and food pairings ($25pp, call 214-619-1112 to reserve)*.
- Lucky Lou's, Denton - 9 p.m. - Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- World of Beer, Arlington - Mardi Gras Party featuring Abita. Scheduled to be tapped: Amber, Turbodog, Purple Haze and Mardi Gras Bock.
- World of Beer, SMU - Mardi Gras Party featuring Abita. Scheduled to be tapped: Amber, Restoration, Oyster Stout, Purple Haze and Mardi Gras Bock.
Wednesday, February 13
- Kegs & Barrels, Plano - 5 p.m. - Weekly Tasting. Selections vary.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 5 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Rare tapping of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence.
- Ginger Man, Southlake - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Real Ale Devil's Backbone*.
- Craft and Growler, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Keep the Glass Night*. Selections vary.
- Rugby House, Plano - 6 p.m. - Glassware Night*. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Lindemans*.
- Boiled Owl Tavern, Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Rahr Iron Thistle*.
- Goodfriend, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Special debut tapping of Community Regalement, including a free pub glass with purchase*.
- Whole Foods Park Lane, Dallas - 6:30 p.m. - Meet the Brewer featuring Revolver.
- Flying Saucer, all locations - 7 p.m. - Brewery Night featuring the 2012 Saucer Valentine's glass.
Thursday, February 14
- Four Corners Brewing Co., 4/6/8 p.m. - Small Tour Thursdays ($10pp, click here to purchase tickets).
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 5 p.m. - Tap Night featuring chocolate infused brews. Scheduled to be tapped: New Belgium Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout, Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence and Lakewood Temptress Randallized with cherry and chocolate. Bottles of Rogue Double Chocolate Stout and Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout will also be available.
- Goodfriend, Dallas - 5 p.m. - Beer and dessert event featuring Ommegang. Flights to include Art of Darkness, Three Philosophers and Chocolate Indulgence.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 6 p.m. - Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 6 p.m. - Beer and Cheese Pairing ($25pp, purchase tickets here).
- The Libertine Bar, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Pint Night featuring Lindemans*.
- Zio Carlo, Ft. Worth - 7 p.m. - Glass Night. Selections vary*.
- The Gin Mill Urban Pub, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Valentine's Beer/Wine Pairing Dinner ($60pp, call 214-824-3343 to reserve).
- Holy Grail Pub, Plano - 7 p.m. - Valentine's Beer Dinner ($65pp, call 972-377-6633 to reserve).
- Vickery Park, Dallas - 8 p.m. - Celebrate your love of beer with cellar releases and special tappings, including Lakewood Temptress cask-conditioned with dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs and raspberries*.
- World of Beer, Arlington - Valentine's Day dessert and beer flight pairing. Contact pub for more details.
- World of Beer, SMU, Dallas - Brooklyn Brewery Spotlight. Scheduled to be tapped: Lager, There Will Be Black, Pennant Ale '55, and Brown Ale. A limited number of Brooklyn Black Ops bottles will also be available.
Friday, February 15
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth - 4 p.m. - Tap Night. Selections vary.
- Lonestar Beverages, Carrollton - 5 p.m. - Weekly tasting. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas - 6 p.m. - Firkin Friday featuring Live Oak.
- Oak St. Drafthouse, Denton - 7 p.m. - Firkin Friday. Selections vary.
Saturday, February 16
- Weekly brewery tours (each admission includes a logo glass)
- Franconia Brewing Co., McKinney - 11 a.m. - $5pp (glass optional for additional $5).
- FireWheel Brewing Co., Rowlett - 11 a.m. - $10pp for three 8 oz samples.
- Lakewood Brewing Co., Garland - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas - 12 p.m. - $10pp for four beer samples.
- Cedar Creek Brewery, Seven Points - 12 p.m. - $7pp for three beer samples.
- Revolver Brewing Co., Granbury - 12 p.m. - $7pp for beer samples.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth - 1 p.m. - $10pp for three beer samples.
- Peticolas Brewing Co., Dallas - 1 p.m. - $10pp for three beer samples.
- Community Beer Co., Dallas - 2 p.m. - $10pp for three beer samples.
- Four Corners Brewing Co., Dallas - 12:30 p.m. - Local Flavor Showcase featuring a tour and tasting, along with food provided by Lockhart BBQ (purchase tickets here).
- World of Beer, Arlington - 1 p.m. - Left Coast Brewery Spotlight. Tappings to be determined.
- Dallas Farmer's Market, Dallas - 7 p.m. - Hops for Habitat featuring food from well-known area chefs and brews from Lakewood and Franconia ($50pp, call 469-200-4085 for tickets).
Sunday, February 17
- Flying Saucer, Addison - 1 p.m. - 17th Anniversary celebration featuring barrel-aged beer releases all day.
- Trio, Colleyville - 6 p.m. - LUCK/Four Corners Beer Dinner ($50pp, purchase tickets here).
- Texas on Tap - Lagunitas Beer Dinner at Rugby House, February 19.
- Deschutes Brewery Night at World of Beer Arlington, February 19.
- Beer College: Beer 101 at Bottle Shop, February 20.
- Saucer 101: Hops at Addison Flying Saucer, February 21.
- Texas Independence Week at Holy Grail Pub, February 25-March 3.
- Jester King Beer Dinner at Meddlesome Moth, February 25.
- Suds and Smoke at Deep Ellum Brewing Company, February 25.
- Breckenridge Brewery Night at World of Beer SMU, February 26.
- Vegan Beer Dinner at Libertine, February 27.
- Deep Ellum Tap Takeover at Jack Mac's Swill & Grill, February 27.
- Avery Cans and Killers at Bottle Shop, February 28.
- Armadillo Ale Works Launch Party at Oak St. Drafthouse, March 1.
- First Anniversary Party at Oak St. Drafthouse, March 5.
- Beer College: Beer Styles and Glassware at Bottle Shop, March 6 and 20.
- Texas Cheese and Beer at Scardello Artisan Cheese, March 14.
- March Brewery Tour on the Dallas Brew Bus, March 23.
- Beer College: American Craft Beers at Bottle Shop, April 3 and 17.
- Big Texas Beer Fest at Fair Park, April 6.
- Fort Worth Untapped, April 20.
- Dogfistival III at Common Table, May 4.
- North Texas Beer Festival at Irving Convention Center, May 11.
Examiner pick of the week
Cellar release event at Vickery Park