Leading 28-25 with 7:28 leading in the first half, Dayton outscored Richmond 15-10 the rest of the half to take a 43-35 halftime lead. The Spiders (12-11, 2-5 A-10) scored the first bucket of the second half, a three-pointer by Kristina King, to cut the Flyers lead to five with 19:48 remaining but weren’t able to get any closer.
Andrea Hoover scored 10 of her 16 points in the second half and the Flyers (19-1, 7-0 A-10) increased their lead to 13 points (51-38) with 15:09 left in the game on an Applewhite layup. Mallot chipped in 12 points and 11 rebounds while Kelly Austria contributed 11 points.
Dayton, which shot 54.3 percent (19-35) from the floor in the first half, connected on 46.8 percent (29-62) of their shots for the game. The Flyers were only 4-of-18 (22.2percent) from beyond the arc and 10-of-18 (55.8 percent) from the charity stripe.
King and Becca Wann paced the Spiders with 15 points apiece. Wann also hauled in a team-high 11 caroms for her fourth double-double of the season and ninth of her career. Rachel Bilney, who banked in her 180th career three-pointer with 52 seconds remaining, connected on four three-pointers and finished with 14 points. Sam Bilney came up with six steals and dished out six assists for Richmond.
The Spiders shot 33.3 percent (23-69) from the floor for the game including 47.4 percent (9-19) from beyond the arc.
- Applewhite’s double-double was her fourth of her career. Her 18 points tied a career-high.
- Dayton outrebounded Richmond 47-38 but the Spiders won the turnover battle 19-14. The Flyers have outrebounded their opponents in 18 of their 20 games.
- Prior to the game against Richmond, Dayton had defeated their A-10 opponents by an average of 32.5 points a game.
- King matched Sam Bilney’s team-high six assists.
- Rachel Bilney is now fourth on the Spiders all-time three-point list.
- Dayton outscored Richmond 46-28 in points in the paint, Including 28-10 in the first half.
- The Flyers’ bench scored 31 points while the Spiders’ reserves tallied 24 points.
- Dayton will GO GREEN for Bile Duct Cancer Awareness when the Flyers host Xavier on Feb. 7. Kelly Green is the color for Bile Duct, liver, and gallbladder cancers.