The new Old National Bank along the riverfront is the 5th iteration of the old state bank founded in 1834. Here we take a look at its third home that stood on Main St from 1916 until the 1970s
Soon after the bank was established, it built a substantial building near the foot of Main St. That bank was remodeled in the 1850s in the Greek Revival style. The landmark would later become a Moose lodge when the bank relocated. It stood until about 1960.
In 1916 the bank joined the trend of those moving near the "financial district" up Main St. Three older buildings were torn down and construction began on the 9-story bank designed by Adolf Scherer from Indianapolis along with Shopbell & Co. The Classical Revival building had a polished red granite exterior and four Corinthian columns gracing the front. One source lists that the top three floors were added later in 1927, but we can't find any information supporting that claim. If anything it looks like the top stories were modernized. Regardless, the bank towered over its neighbors for several decades.
In the 1960s the bank had the urge to build a new structure. The buildings to its right up to 5th St were all demolished, including the old Hotel Lincoln. Construction on the new bank was begun, and soon the new passed the old. The new Old National Bank was a modern building standing 18 stories tall. When it was completed in 1970 the old bank was demolished and new construction spilled into the old site. The bank adopted the name 420 Building because of the banks address at 420 Main St.
It wasn't until the 2000s that Old National relocated to the riverfront. The 420 Building has been mostly vacant since then.
Old National Bank on HistoricEvansville.com - http://historicevansville.com/site.php?id=oldnational
As a side note, please look for our new postcard book available now.
It will be available for purchase for $20 at the following events
Book launch - 10/30 @ 6:30pm - EVPL
Reitz Home Event: HistoricEvansville.com site and book discussion - 11/12 @ 7:00pm - Reitz Museum