Men may be from Mars and women from Venus, but they do agree on “Pluto”—how much they love their dogs. Old Mother Hubbard, in honor of its newest line of bakery-inspired dog treats, Gourmet Goodies, conducted a Valentine’s Day “Puppy Love” survey, and it’s no contest—pooches reign supreme over human partners in this lighthearted look at who wins ‘top dog’ in true love.
Gourmet Goodies surveyed 741 dog-owning adults in relationships to determine whether 10 key characteristics vary between human and canine relationships: love at first sight, faithfulness, friendship, unwavering devotion, protection from danger, being eager to please, always happy to see me, easygoing, always makes me feel good and doesn’t talk back or criticize.
• K-9s a perfect 10: Fifty-five percent of dog owners in a human relationship strongly agree or agree that all 10 characteristics described their relationship with their dog. Only 32 percent feel the same about their human partner.
• Instant attraction: Love at first sight strikes more often with dogs, with 78 percent saying they fell in love with their dogs at first glance, versus only 67 percent for human partners.
• Doggone devotion: When it comes to unconditional love and being faithful and devoted for life, furry friends are the best. Ninety-three percent of dog owners believe their pooch “loves them without question,” as compared to their human partners at 85 percent. As for fidelity, dogs win paws down once again, as 91 percent voted in favor of the pups, versus 82 percent for their significant others.
• Fido’s the biggest fan: Dogs rise to the top with their ability to unequivocally support their person. Eighty-four percent of dogs “Don’t talk back or criticize” as compared to 47 percent of humans; they are “eager to please” (84 percent vs. 66 percent); and humans appreciate their “willingness to go anywhere” (86 percent vs. 73 percent).
• Throwing humans a bone: Alas, relationships haven’t entirely gone to the dogs. Men and women agree, 94 percent and 90 percent respectively, that their human partner slightly edges out Fido in the best friend category…but only by a nose (eight percent and four percent, respectively).
LA Dog Lovers can win some goodies for their pet because in celebration of Valentine’s Day, from February 8 through 14, Old Mother Hubbard will be offering daily
Gourmet Goodies giveaways on their Facebook page, www.facebook.com/OMHpetsnacks. Yum!!