This is a sort of throwback coffeecake recipe. Everyone has one of these in their family recipe archives. Sweet, moist cake with a nestled streusel of cinnamon and walnuts, usually baked in a bundt pan. Delicious!
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioner's sugar
- In a small bowl, mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Set aside to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Set egg yolks aside in a separate container.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add egg yolks into creamed mixture.
- Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this dry mixture alternately with sour cream to the creamed mixture. Beat well.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Pour half batter into greased and floured 10-inch bundt pan. Sprinkle with walnut mixture. Pour in remaining batter.
- Bake in 350° oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar when completely cool.
Serves 8 to 10.