OSU started the game with a three-and-out, but then scored on four of its next five possessions to lead 28-0 at the half. Defensive back Daytawon Lowe scooped up a loose ball and scored from 37 yards out early in the second half to slam shut the door.
Clint Chelf (17-22-0- 197) threw three touchdown passes and J.W. Walsh (5-7-0 86) threw two more scoring strikes. Joseph Randle ran for 66 yards and Desmond Rolan ran for 51 for the Cowboys.
Chelf was named the game's most valuable player for his efforts.
Oklahoma State finishes with a 8-5 record. Most of the team returns next season, so there is a lot to look forward to for the Cowboys. Tailback Joseph Randle is the big question mark. The junior led the Cowboys and the Big 12 in rushing this season with more than 1300 yards. The junior has not announced if he will return for his senior season.
- With its 58-14 win, OSU improves to 15-8 all time in bowl games.
- The Cowboys are 5-2 in bowl games under head coach Mike Gundy.
- With their 58-point effort, the Cowboys have now eclipsed the 50-point mark 23 times during Gundy’s tenure as head coach.
- OSU’s 44-point win is the second-largest margin of victory by a Big 12 Conference team in a bowl game. The record is 49, that coming when Nebraska defeated Northwestern, 66-17, in the 2000 Alamo Bowl.
- The 58 points is OSU’s most ever against a Big 10 Conference opponent, besting the 49 the Cowboys had vs. Indiana in the 2007 Insight Bowl.
- OSU’s 58 points is the most ever by a team in a bowl game played at Cotton Bowl Stadium, surpassing USC’s 55-point effort against Texas Tech in 1995.
- The 58 points is the second most by OSU in a bowl game, trailing only the 62 the Cowboys racked up against Wyoming in the 1988 Holiday Bowl.
- OSU finishes the season 8-5, marking the fifth-straight season the Cowboys have reached eight wins. That streak is the longest in program history.
- Serving as OSU captains for today’s game were Calvin Barnett, Quinn Sharp, Lane Taylor, Cooper Bassett and Joseph Randle.
- OSU had five scoring drives of two minutes or less, giving it 48 such drives on the season and marking the 40th-straight game the Cowboys have recorded a scoring drive in under two minutes.
- OSU finished with 524 yards of total offense, marking the eighth game this season the Cowboys have surpassed 500 yards.
- The 2012 Cowboys finish the season as the most prolific offense in school history, averaging 547 yards per game.
- Josh Stewart’s 64-yard punt return in the first quarter was OSU’s longest punt return since Josh Cooper’s 66-yard return against Troy on Sept. 11, 2010.
- Redshirt freshman fullback Jeremy Seaton recorded his first-career touchdown catch with a 16-yard grab in the second quarter.
- Daytawion Lowe’s 37-yard fumble return for a touchdown marked OSU’s first defensive touchdown since Richetti Jones scored against Oklahoma in 2011.
- Quinn Sharp finishes his OSU career ranked fourth on the Cowboys’ all-time scoring list with 301 points.