Oklahoma City University workmen were progressively regrouting the GoldStar Memorial building centrally located on the main campus of OKCU this week in the mist and rain.
This building has housed the OKCU Law School and law library for a number of years, until another building was constructed facing 23rd Street, just West of the Angie Smith Chapel, a local landmark on old route 66. http://law.okcu.edu/
OKCU Law School has had the good fortune to purchase the Old Central High School in Midtown OKC, which will allow Law Students ready access to the Federal, County and City Courthouses located in the Downtown OKC Business District.
The 1900's era Central High School property is on the National Register of Historic Places.http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ok/Oklahoma/state.html It has morphed a number of times. Originally, having been a theater and meeting hall. Central High School was built out as a High School, known as Oklahoma High School. It later functioned as Cental Middle School. Central High School property was the original location for the prototype as Central Innovative High School, the predecessor of the now Classen School for Advanced Studies... with student's enrolled in independent academic studies and onsite class time dedicated to performance and expressive classes in the style of the movie "Fame", professional camera operations, and folkloric skateboarding allowed in the hallways of the 3rd floor.Central then lay fallow for awhile before being claimed as a historic place. It was reclaimed and renovated as office space for the telephone company, and then Farmer's and Rancher's Insurance Company.
OKCU Law School expects to occupy the Central High School building in Spring 2013. Some further work will need to happen to restore all the spacious, naturally lit classrooms to classroom status and update with needed electronic communications and educations devices.
OKCU Law School will retain the Central High School Museum, which chronicles the many lives of this beautiful and well constructed OKC landmark.