Raise a glass to the last days of Ohio Wine Month at the next Girls Night Out event at Little Miami River Wines (Loveland, Ohio), Thursday, June 28, 2012. This GNO will feature wines from Firelands Winery (Sandusky, Ohio), and some special Buckeye treats.
Erin Reed of Specialty Wines will discuss the wines and winery. Open house format, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., no reservations necessary.
Judy Rice, owner of Little Miami River Wines, previewed these selections:
- Firelands Pinot Grigio ($9.99) - "More of what you might expect from a nationally-distributed wine."
- Firelands Cabernet ($9.99) - "A bit light if you prefer something more robust, but definitely a Cabernet - not what you might expect."
- Firelands Brut ($13.99) - "Very good, I think people will like this."
Additional featured wines will be:
- Firelands Riesling ($9.99)
- Firelands Pinot Noir ($13.99)
- Firelands Dolcetto ($11.99)
If you're visiting northern Ohio's lake counties this summer, Firelands Winery is open for tours seven days a week through October.
A limited supply of Kinkhead Ridge (Ripley, Ohio) wines are still available from the tasting earlier this month. The winery retained some to sell and serve at their own events, but may release it to the winesellers in the late summer/early fall.
Rice said that the smaller regional wineries typically have sweeter wines; production from Firelands and Kinkhead are along the more traditional cabernets and chardonnays that one might expect to see in U.S. wines.