Take a peek at these 18 harrowing or hilarious October 26 running events.
Dates and venues may be subject to last-minute changes. Also, race-day registrations may be available at some locations, while others may have closed in advance. As always, participants and spectators are advised to double-check before setting out for these events.
- 4th Annual Abby’s Run and Walk – With a 5K run, a one-mile walk, and a kids walk, this fitness event is a fundraiser for the Star Legacy Foundation, an organization dedicated to stillbirth research, education, and prevention. The races start at 10 a.m. at Greenfield Park’s Picnic Area 3A, in West Allis, Wisconsin. (Contact: 952-715-7731.)
- 4th Annual Summit Credit Union Haunted Hustle – This two-day event features 5K and 10K races and a 5K stroller derby on October 26, followed by a marathon and half marathon on October 27. All races start at the Keva Sports Center, 8312 Forsythia Street, in Middleton, Wisconsin. Saturday’s events begin at 4:30 p.m. Sunday’s commence at 8 a.m. (Contact: 877-290-8608.)
- 45th Annual Carson Park 10-Mile and Half Moon 5k Run/Walk and Kids Boogie Run – Hosted by the Indianhead Track Club, these races set off at 8:30 a.m. at the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp, located in Carson Park, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. (Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org .)
- American Cancer Society’s Walk/Run at Road America – Starting at 10 a.m., this four-mile health awareness and benefit event is at Road America, in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. (Contact: 262-312-2067.)
- Cambridge EMS / Creepy Crawl – This 5K run/walk, starting at the Cambridge EMS Station, at 205 West Main Street, in Cambridge, Wisconsin, begins at 6:30 p.m. Proceeds from the fun runt will be used to purchase new lifesaving equipment for the two ambulances. (Contact: 608-423-3511.)
- Color Dash 5K – This colorful fun run kicks off at 12:30 p.m., with runners racing from the Great River State Trail head, found at 800 Oak Forest Drive, Onalaska, Wisconsin. (Contact: 507-676-2531.)
- Door County Fall 50 – One of the Midwest’s most popular ultra-running events, this competition sends runners on a scenic 50-mile individual or relay run, beginning at The Shoreline Restaurant, in 12747 Highway 42, Gills Rock, Wisconsin. (Contact: 920-854-2950.)
- Great Pumpkin Chase 5K Run/Walk – This scenic 5K run/walk begins at 9 a.m. in Hixon Forest Park, in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and benefits the WisCorps – Wisconsin Youth Conservation Corps. (Contact: 608-782-2494.)
- Haunted 5K and Scream – Runners and walkers line up at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve Visitor Center, just north of LaFarge, Wisconsin, for this fall fitness event to benefit the LaFarge High School L Club and Student Council. (Contact: 608-625-2960.)
- K9 Glow Run – The Darlington Police Department presents a 5K run/walk for humans and their leashed dogs, starting at 8 p.m. at the Lafayette County Fairgrounds, in Darlington, Wisconsin. (Contact: 608-482-0098.)
- Lakefront Discovery Run 15K – Offered by the Badgerland Striders Running Club, this event gets underway at 9 a.m. at Milwaukee’s Italian Community Center. Registration fills way ahead of race day. (Contact: 414-418-8395.)
- Monster Dash 5K Run/Walk – This chip-timed race, sponsored by Aurora Health Care – Manitowoc County, begins at 10 a.m. at the Aurora Medical Center, 5000 Memorial Drive, in Two Rivers, Wisconsin. (Contact: 920-794-5000.)
- Night of the Running Dead 5K – Untimed, this costumed Halloween fun run begins at 8 p.m. at the Haunted House, 623 South Case Street, in Park Falls, Wisconsin. (Contact: 715-762-2703.)
- Real Racine Skeleton Skamper – Starting at 8 a.m. at the Sealed Air Family YMCA, at 8501 Campus Drive, in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, this event includes a 5K, half marathon and kids walk. Costumes are encouraged. (Contact: 608-316-5755.)
- Saukville Scare 5K Run/Walk – Runners take their marks at Grady Park, 110 West Dekora Street, in Saukville, Wisconsin, at 9 a.m. for this fall holiday fitness event. (Contact: 262-268-1970.)
- Skeleton Scurry – This autumn fun run event includes a 5K and a 10K, starting at 8 a.m. at the Lake Lawn Resort, located at 2400 East Geneva Street, in Delavan, Wisconsin. (Contact: 262-728-5585.)
- Terror in the Glen Trail Run – Runners hit the trails, starting at 9 a.m., at Glen Hills County Park, 1049 Rustic Road, in Glenwood, Wisconsin. This chip-timed event includes a 5K, a 10K, and a half marathon. (Contact: 651-688-9143.)
- YMCA Freaky 5K – Presented by YMCA of the Fox Cities, this event begins at 8 a.m. with a Mini Monster Dash for kids, followed by a 5K race. It all happens at Pierce Park, 1001 West Prospect Avenue, in Appleton, Wisconsin. (Contact: 920-882-7937.)
Rockport Trail Run is sidelined for 2013.
The 2013 Rockport Trail Run four-mile and 10K races, originally scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. at Rockport Park, 2801 Rockport Road, in Janesville, Wisconsin, have been cancelled. (Contact: 608-289-5672.)
Regional Run Organizers: Email me with your event details, at least a month in advance, for possible inclusion in upcoming articles. Please include flyers, if available, or tag me on your Facebook event pages.
Running Product Makers and Marketers: Have a top product available for review? Email me with sampling information.
Please note: Thank you for reading and for sharing the link to this article with others. Feel free to +1, Digg, Facebook, Pin, Stumble, Tweet, or otherwise pass the http link along. However, this content is copyrighted, so the actual article (or images) may not be copied and reposted on blogs, social networking sites, websites, or elsewhere.
Readers: You are invited to subscribe (confidentially and free, using the link provided above) to receive e-mail updates whenever this columnist publishes a new article. Feel free to follow on Google Plus and Twitter. You may wish to join this writer's fan page. Be sure to “like” the Running Examiner – Milwaukee and More page on Facebook for news, information, and inspiration for runners.
Writers: Want to learn how you can join Examiner as a columnist in your choice of cities and topics? Email me for details.