From director James Wan, of Saw and Insidious, comes the spine-tingling supernatural horror film The Conjuring. Written by brothers Chad and Carey Hayes and based on the true life story, it stars Academy Award nominee Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson as the world renowned paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren who are called to the farmhouse belonging to Roger and Carolyn Perron, played by Ron Livingston and Lili Taylor, after disturbing events occur. The film also stars Joey King, Shanley Caswell, Hayley McFarland, Mackenzie Foy and Kyla Deaver as the Perrons' five daughters; Sterling Jerins as Judy Warren; Marion Guyot as Georgiana; Steve Coulter as Father Gordon; Shannon Kook as Drew; and John Brotherton as Brad.
Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville, Rhode Island. In 1971, Carolyn and Roger Perron, along with their five daughters, move into a dilapidated farmhouse. On their first day, everything seems fine until next morning their dog Sadie turns up dead and Carolyn wakes with a mysterious bruise. More paranormal disturbances take place over the next several days including all the clocks stopping at exactly 3:07. One night while Roger is away, it escalates and there are sounds of giggling and clapping, followed by shattered pictures, Carolyn getting locked in the cellar and her daughter Christine getting violently attacked.
World renown paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren are called upon by the family for help and they discover a dark presence. In 1863, a witch named Bathsheba tried to sacrifice her own children to the devil and cursed everyone who would take her land before killing herself. Facing the most horrifying case of their lives, Ed and Lorraine seek authorization from the Catholic Church to perform an exorcism while their own daughter is targeted by the spirits of the mothers who were possessed by Bathseba to murder their own children; and Carolyn -- also possessed by Bathseba -- tries to kill her children.
The Conjuring Blu-ray Giveaway:
One lucky reader will win a free copy of The Conjuring on Blu-ray thanks to Warner Bros. and PartnersHub.
- Check out the The Conjuring Blog App that features:
5 Things to Know Before You Watch The Conjuring: Interactive GIFs! - Move your mouse across the GIFs to control them and read the freaky facts to prepare for the scariest movie of the year!
- The Conjuring is directed by the acclaimed James Wan, the Australian-born director of the fright-fests Insidious and the Saw series. His Twitter handle is @CreepyPuppet. Say no more.
- The Conjuring has been given an “R” rating by the MPAA. Not because of blood, gore, or violence, but simply because it’s just so scary from start to finish!
- The Conjuring’s cast and crew experienced creepy events during filming. Scratches appeared out of nowhere on Vera Farmiga’s computer soon after she agreed to act in the movie, the crew were routinely woken by something in the “witching hour” between 3 and 4 a.m., and the real-life Carolyn Perron fell and broke her hip while visiting the set.
- The Rhode Island farmhouse where The Conjuring is set once belonged to an accused witch, Bathsheba, who tried to sacrifice her children to the devil and killed herself in 1863.
- Hold your applause! The Conjuring will make you terrified to clap! Whether it’s playing a traditional game of hide-and-seek by following the clapping sounds like the mother and daughter in the movie, or being terrorized by ghostly claps in different rooms of the haunted farmhouse, these claps throughout the movie will give you the creeps!
- Share this article with your friends at the top of the page and Tweet with #TheConjuring hashtag.
- Subscribe to get the latest news and best deals on DVD and Blu-ray releases.
- Send an email with the subject line THE CONJURING BLU-RAY GIVEAWAY to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Mailing Address (no P.O. Boxes please)
- Email address
Entries will be accepted beginning 12:01 AM Eastern Time ("ET") on October 21, 2013, and ending 11:59 PM ET on November 4, 2013. One winner will be chosen randomly from the entries received and will be notified by email. The winner will have 2 days to respond to the email before an alternate winner will be chosen. Each household is only eligible to win 1 The Conjuring Blu-Ray via blog reviews and giveaways. Only one entrant per mailing address per giveaway. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you will not be eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification. Good luck!
- Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren
- Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren
- Lili Taylor as Carolyn Perron
- Ron Livingston as Roger Perron
- Shanley Caswell as Andrea Perron
- Hayley McFarland as Nancy Perron
- Joey King as Christine Perron
- Mackenzie Foy as Cindy Perron
- Kyla Deaver as April Perron
- Shannon Kook as Drew
- John Brotherton as Brad
- Sterling Jerins as Judy Warren
- Marion Guyot as Georgiana Moran
- Steve Coulter as Father Gordon
- Joseph Bishara as Bathsheba
DVD Special Features:
- Scaring the “@$*%” Out of You
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- The Conjuring: Face-to-Face with Terror
- A Life in Demonology
Release Date: December 9, 2013
- Zavvi - The Conjuring Blu-ray SteelBook.
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Blockbuster: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.