Newly released information about the alleged rocket that carried poisonous sarin gas and exploded in a Damascus suburb on Aug. 21, 2013, suggests that the rationale President Barack Obama and his minions originally gave for U.S. and NATO military action against President Bashir al-Assad and his regime was off-base, according to a report on Monday from the Homeland Security Newswire.
HSN claims in its study that security and weapons experts meeting in the nation's capital to ponder the issue, concluded that the rocket with sarin gas in the attack had a maximum range that was much too short for the sarin-carrying rocket to have been fired from the Syrian military positions where the President Obama and others said they originated.
"In the report, titled “Possible Implications of Faulty U.S. Technical Intelligence,” Richard Lloyd, a former United Nations weapons inspector, and Theodore Postol, a professor of science, technology and national security policy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, argue that the question about the rocket’s range indicates a major weakness in the case for military action initially pressed by Obama administration officials.
"The administration eventually withdrew its request for congressional authorization for a military strike after Syria agreed to submit to the Chemical Weapons Convention, which bans the weapons. Polls showed overwhelming public opposition to a military strike, however, and it was doubtful Congress would have authorized an attack."
In fact, according to an Examiner news story published on May 7, 2013, there are many experts who believe it was the al-Qaeda or Nusra Front terrorists who used sarin gas.
The Examiner story alleged that "while many United States political leaders and lawmakers say they strongly suspect Syria's President Bashar al-Assad is using chemical weapons against rebel forces, the United Nations' war crime team of investigators on Monday reported that while not able to confirm the use of weapons of mass destruction by either side, it may be the rebels who possess and use chemical weapons."
The May 7 Examiner report also stated that "one of the U.N. team of investigators is claiming that it is the rebels -- many of whom are members of al-Qaeda and al-Nusra Front -- who are using chemical weapons against the Syrian military and civilians."
At that time "political pundits claim[ed] that President Barack Obama painted himself into a corner by declaring the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime would be the 'red line' that if crossed would compel the U.S. to act. Obama never expected reports of Syrian rebels using weapons of mass destruction, said Joel Thomlin, an expert in Middle East terrorism."
Meanwhile, again according to an Examiner news story dated June 3, 2013, Turkish security forces had reported that they discovered a cylinder containing sarin gas when searching the homes of Syrian militants from the al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front who were previously detained, the Turkish media reported.
The gas was reportedly going to be used in a bomb.
Turkish anti-terror forces arrested 12 alleged members of the Nusra Front, the Al-Qaeda affiliated group which has been dubbed "the most aggressive and successful arm” of the Syrian rebels. The group was designated a terrorist organization by the United States in December, according to Russia's TV Novista.
"While Obama and his national security team wanted to use the suspected sarin gas attack on Damascus as an excuse to help topple the Assad regime, the United Nations was permitted to conduct inspections and locate the Syrian regime's stockpile of sarin and begin the process of removing it from war-torn Syria. However, no one appears to be investigating allegations and evidence that the rebels -- especially those tied to Islamist terror groups -- may be in possession of the deadly chemical weapon," said former military intelligence member and American police detective Sidney Franes.