"President Obama admits to not having a strategy to deal with the terrorist crisis in Syria," writes Paul Bedard of the Washington Examiner, "but that doesn’t mean Americans are off the hook for preparing their own disaster strategy." Sounds encouraging, no?
At first blush, it seems as though the commander-in-chief is at least proactively encouraging his constituents to brace for the possibility of a terrorist attack, by being on the alert, for example, to packages or bags deliberately left behind on buses, trains, or subways. Never mind that he told us in 2013 that the "tide of war" was "receding" and that al Qaeda and its spawn had been "decimated." Credit where credit is due. And it appears that Obama deserves credit for proclaiming September “National Preparedness Month.”
Oh, don't get Obama wrong. He's aware of terrorism and even includes it in his list of things that go bump in the night. Of course it comes last — after hurricanes, wildfires, and cyber attacks — and even then it gets short shrift, with most of the text devoted to his Climate Action Plan. From the document:
Our Nation also faces longer wildfire seasons, more severe droughts, heavier rainfall, and more frequent flooding in a changing climate. That is why, as part of my Climate Action Plan, we are committed to building smarter, more resilient infrastructure that can withstand more frequent and more devastating natural disasters and to supporting our communities as they prepare for these impacts.
When and where emergencies occur are beyond our control -- but how we prepare and how we respond are up to us. This month, we honor the heroes who put the needs and lives of others before their own and rush to help in times of tragedy: our emergency responders and other extraordinary Americans who are prepared to act in critical moments. Let us resolve to be ready for any crisis and work to inspire a new generation of Americans, vested with the knowledge and experience to protect themselves, their families, and their communities in the face of any challenge.
Paul Bedard mentions that Obama also announced an “America’s PrepareAthon!” drill for September 30 for Americans to show they are ready for the worst. One wonders whether he wants to hear from those have suffered mightily but survived under his tenure as president.
- Islamist militants in Libya steal 11 commercial airliners
- Obama to lift ban of Libyans attending U.S. flight schools, receiving nuke education
- DHS reports disappearance of 6,000 foreigners here on student visas (Video)
- White House claims US not at war with ISIS; ISIS begs to differ; Obama fundraises (Video)
- Why does Obama administration say ‘ISIL’ rather than ‘ISIS’?
- How many more Americans will be beheaded before Obama grows a pair and declares war on ISIS?
- James Foley: Up to twenty more Westerners held hostage by ISIS
- Picture of the Day: The walls are closing in on a clueless Obama
- State Dept. won’t support Bibi’s ISIS/Hamas comparison (Video)
- ISIS beheads US journalist, UK prime minister interrupts holiday, Obama resumes holiday