While at the memorial service for Nelson Mandela on Tuesday, President Obama briefly met and shook hands with Cuban leader Raul Castro. He also appeared to bow to the Communist leader, a conservative blog said.
CNN correspondent John King predicted Obama would be criticized for the move, The Blaze said.
“There will be someone out there who thinks that was horrible,” he said. “I think the president was showing respect for the moment.”
The short video clip posted at The Blaze shows Obama bounding up a staircase before greeting Castro. Obama appears to bow slightly to Castro as he shakes hands.
"It’s not just a handshake, notice the tip of the head and bend of the back, it’s a bow," Weasel Zippers said.
"Notice also Castro did not bow back," the blog said, referencing the photo tweeted by USA Today.
But Castro does appear to return the gesture in the short video.
Playing devil's advocate, a post at BizPac Review observed that Castro is shorter than Obama and some bending may have been necessary for conversation, but, Michele Kirk added, "given the president’s track record, the question is a valid one."
Castro, Breitbart said, has served as president of Cuba since his brother, Fidel, was stricken with ill health, adding that Cuba is one of the last Communist regimes and is generally regarded as one of the most repressive on earth.
"South Africa has close ties with Cuba because the ruling party, the African National Congress, was supported by Castro during its years of exile and guerrilla warfare against the apartheid regime in South Africa," Breitbart added.
- Bill O'Reilly: Nelson Mandela was a 'great man' and a Communist
- Nelson Mandela…a communist revolutionary morphed by the media into a saint
- S.C. sheriff snubs Obama, refuses to fly flag at half staff for Nelson Mandela
- White House marks death of Nelson Mandela with picture of Obama
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- 'Heart' Communism? Move to Cuba
- Communist Party leaders at convention: Socialism an 'imperative' for America
- Communist Party USA openly supports Democrats
- Communist Party USA chair endorses Obama's jobs plan, tax hikes
- Communist Party USA celebrates Obama's re-election
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Newsbusters, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.