Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Policy & Issues

Obama sent three representatives to Brown funeral, none to Foley memorial

See also

Three administration officials were sent Monday to the funeral for Michael Brown, the 18-year-old shot in Ferguson by officer Darren Wilson. But, CNS News reported Monday, the administration sent no one to the memorial service held for James Foley, the American journalist beheaded by ISIS.

According to CNS, the memorial was held Sunday at Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in Foley’s hometown of Rochester, New Hampshire. Connie Hammond, an administrative assistant at Holy Rosary, confirmed to CNS that no one from the administration attended the service.

But, the Washington Post said Saturday, the White House sent Broderick Johnson, head of the White House’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force and Marlon Marshall, a native of St. Louis who attended high school with Brown’s mother. Heather Foster, who, CNS said, is an adviser in the White House Office of Public Engagement, was also present.

New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, a Democrat, Sens. Kelly Ayotte, R.-N.H, Jeanne Shaheen, D.-N.H., and Rep. Ann Kuster, D.-N.H. attended the service for Foley. Tom Bebbington, director of communications for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester, also told CNS no one from the administration attended Sunday's memorial.

“Jim was a journalist, a son, a brother, and a friend,” Obama said in a statement released last week. “He reported from difficult and dangerous places, bearing witness to the lives of people a world away.”

“Today, the American people will all say a prayer for those who loved Jim,” he added. “All of us feel the ache of his absence. All of us mourn his loss.”

After issuing his statement, Obama immediately retreated to a golf course on Martha's Vineyard. A pool report said Obama delivered his remarks, then "turned quietly and walked out of the room. The room was silent as he did."

CNS said it asked the White House why no one was sent to Foley's memorial. National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said Obama offered his condolences when he issued his short statement last week.

"The President expressed his profound condolences to the family in his statement last week,” Price said. “He was speaking on behalf of his Administration—as well as the American people—in offering these words to the Foley family, and he continues to keep them in his thoughts as we attempt to bring the other American hostages home.”

Advertisement