The quote by Jay Leno pretty much sums up the Obama presidency. The following is how his Syria debacle occurred.
1. So-called Syrian Rebels, primarily Sunni Muslim fanatics with Al Qaeda leadership, and supported by Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Hamas, and other Sunni states and entities, initiated a war against the tyrannical Shiite Assad government.
2. Barrack Obama immediately sides with the Al Qaeda-led Sunni fanatics against the Assad government, and starts clandestinely shipping assistance to them.
3. In addition to attacking Assad, the Obama-supported Sunni Islamist “rebels” begin attacking Christian Churches, villages, and priests, killing and kidnapping them. Assad had tolerated these Christians, which at the time, comprised 10% of the Syrian population.
4. With momentum on the side of the Al Qaeda-lead and Obama-supported “rebels”, Obama declares that the Assad regime must leave power.
5. However, Assad, with the help of Iran, Hezbollah, Russia and China, hangs on and turns the tide against the “rebels” who are at this point in retreat;
6. Assad invites U.N. weapons inspectors into Damascus to check on the alleged use of Chemical weapons; they arrive in Damascus on August 18;
7. On August 21, a vicious chemical weapon attack occurs three days after the U.N. inspectors arrive in Damascus, and hundreds die;
8. Obama, in a last ditch effort to assist the Islamist Sunni “rebels”, then announces that he is going to launch a limited bombing attack to deter Assad from using chemical weapons, when there is no proof that Assad has used them. Obama also now says the goal is not “regime change”, which was a change in the Obama position, which had earlier called for Assad’s ouster.
9. The American people raise a tidal wave of opposition, and when it becomes apparent to Obama that he does not have popular support for his unilateral attack, he backs off and says he will ask Congress;
10. It then becomes apparent to Obama that Congress will not vote to authorize such an attack;
11. As Obama flounders in his attempt to assist the Christian-killing “rebels”, Vladimir Putin and Russia steps in and defuses the situation by forging an agreement that Assad will allow his chemical weapons to be put under international control;
12. Having utterly failed, Obama now takes credit for the agreement.