The wonderful thing about home brewing is having complete control of the ingredients in your beer. It is food after all! Home brewing should have the same quality and care as a lovingly home cooked meal. Oat flakes, along with chocolate malt provided a creamy, toasty chocolate decadence with a recently brewed Oatmeal Stout. So scrumptious to drink, I thought it would be an great addition to brownies as well. This recipe yields a cake-like brownie that is not overly sweet.
-1 cup unbleached white flour
-1/3 cup oatmeal
-3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-5 tablespoons butter
-4 oz bittersweet chocolate
-4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
-2/3 cup raw sugar
-6 & 1/2 oz Oatmeal stout
Pre-heat oven to 375º
- Measure out 6 & 1/2 oz of Oatmeal Stout. Choose a good quality local Oatmeal Stout, if you don't have any home brew on hand. Set aside to reach room temperature
- Line a 9 inch baking pan with with parchment paper to avoid sticking (or butter the bottom of the pan, if you don't have parchment paper)
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder & salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place approximately 2 inches of water in a pot and simmer on low. Place a double boiler or glass bowl over the pot of simmering water and slowly melt butter & chopped chocolate. Be sure to stir continuously. Remove from heat.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs & sugar in a large mixing bowl on high. Beat for 3 minutes until batter becomes thick & creamy.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and beat until well combined
- Add flour/cocoa mixture & beat until combined
- Pour in beer & beat until combined. Texture should be similar to pudding.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking pan and place on center rack in oven.
Bake for 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick & if it comes out clean, it's done!
Makes approximately 20 brownies, depending on size. Enjoy with a pint of Oatmeal Stout!