There is nothing more relaxing than a hot cup of tea, a good book and a delicious cookie on a cold winter's afternoon. Add in a flurry of snow and the setting is perfect. This cookie recipe has a bit of a different twist than the traditional oatmeal chocolate chip version. It has tart dried cherries and healthy dark chocolate chips.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Stir in oats, cherries and chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheet, 2-inches apart. Bake in 350° oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool.
Makes 5 dozen.