The 2014 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge has made it back to the West Coast for its fourth event on May 2, 2014. This is the midway point in the competition. Originally scheduled for Newport Beach, surf shop employees and pros will be stoked for the opportunity to surf the world-class break at Lower Trestles without a crowded line-up.
The seven-event nationwide search is halfway through its yearly quest to find the best teams from stops in Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, Hawaii, and three areas of California. Four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) will be competing for a chance to win an all-expense-paid trip to the National Championship in Central America, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, the coveted title, and bragging rights of “best surf shop in the country.”
The challenge tour may be midway at Lowers, but onlookers can expect to see great heights! In fact, this event could be a climactic point in the challenge. Last year, Team Revolution (led by Nathaniel Curran) stole the title from the 2012 National Champions, Jack’s Surfboards. However, it could be anybody’s game this year, as the West is notorious for rad surfing and stiff competition.
Confirmed West OSSC Teams:
Active Ride Shop
Huntington Surf & Sport
Jack's Surfboards (Dana Point)
Jack's Surfboards (Huntington Beach)
Laguna Surf & Sport
T. Patterson Surfboards
Val Surf (Thousand Oaks)
Val Surf (Valley Village)
ZJ Boarding House
Oakley Surf Shop Challenge Events:
• March 28-29 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
• April 11 – Mid-Atlantic – Kitty Hawk, Outer Banks, NC
• April 14 – Northeast – Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
• May 2 – West – San Clemente, Calif.
• May 15/16 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
• July 23/24 – Northwest – Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, Calif.
• August 11-12 – Southeast – Ponce Inlet, Fla.
• TBD – National Championship – Central America
Follow on Facebook: Facebook.com/surfer
Follow on Instagram/Twitter: @OakleyAction @surfer_magazine @surfshopchallenge #shopchallenge