Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Politics
  3. Government

NYC's anti-terror funding falls even as threat rises (UPDATED)

May 9, 2010

New York City's share of federal anti-terrorism money has fallen over the past five years despite evidence that the city remains a top target for terrorists.

Senator Charles E. Schumer tonight revealed that New York City’s share of the Department of Homeland Security’s Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) went from 25% of the total funding pot in 2005 to 18% in 2010. The failed attempt last weekend to detonate a bomb in Times Square was a disturbing reminder that, nearly a decade after the attacks of September 11, 2001 New York City remains the single greatest target for terrorist attacks in the United States.

“The bottom line is, New York City continues to be the number one target for terrorism in the United States and federal anti-terror funding needs to reflect that reality,” said Schumer. “I am calling on the Department of Homeland Security to increase New York’s funding share from the Urban Area Security Initiative to at least 25% of the total funding pot, if not more.” 

Schumer is not alone, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg last week spoke more than once on the need to increase the city's share of federal counter-terrorism money.

"It's been said that when you find a terrorist, he'll have a map of New York City in his back pocket and that was a conversation I was having in Washington last night," said the mayor during a middle of the night news conference following the failed car bomb in Times Square on May 1.

Schumer is calling on Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to increase funding to New York City from the UASI program by at least $57 million, bringing the City’s funding level to a minimum of 25% of the total pot, if not more. 

Last week, Schumer called on the Obama administration to fully fund the “Securing the Cities” program, which was zeroed out for FY2011. Schumer was successful in delivering $18.5 million from the program for New York City’s radiological testing program. Once again the administration has zeroed-out the program. Schumer is working to fund the program to the tune of $30 million.

“Terrorism is a national problem and New York is the primary target. New Yorkers cannot shoulder this burden alone," added Schumer.  "It’s imperative the Department of Homeland Security provide appropriate levels of funding so that the NYPD can do everything possible to make New York safe and secure.”

Bloomberg will travel to London tomorrow night to survey their state of the art security system.

Comments

Advertisement

News

  • UN begins Syria disarmament
    UN: The dismantling of Syria's chemical weapons has begun
    Video
    Watch Video
  • Gravity makes history
    A strong opening weekend helps 'Gravity' break a box office record
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Fight to raise debt ceiling
    Are the finger-pointers still bickering about how to spend money we don't have?
    Top News
  • Cowboys fall short
    Romo was masterful, but a late error costs Dallas in Week 5's wildest game
    NFL
  • Kid flies free
    How did a 9-year-old manage to get past TSA and fly to Vegas for free?
    Weird News
  • 2013 MLB Playoffs
    Dodgers rout the Braves as the divisional series come to a close
    MLB

User login

Log in
Sign in with your email and password. Or reset your password.
Write for us
Interested in becoming an Examiner and sharing your experience and passion? We're always looking for quality writers. Find out more about Examiner.com and apply today!