Not only is wheatgrass a spectacular choice for dietary health, but when paring this smoothie with pineapple you can eliminate the uncomfortable symptoms of bloat.
But that’s not all!
Consider incorporating wheatgrass into your healthy eating plan for many other reasons:
- Soothes eye irritations
- Improves digestion
- Reduces the frequency of graying hair
- Improves arthritis
- Cleanses skin (both when ingested or used topically)
- Eliminates dandruff
- Excellent colon detoxifier
It appears there is virtually nothing this chlorophyll rich product cannot do for us. Due to the enormous amounts of minerals including vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, l and K contained in wheatgrass, it serves as an organic, natural healer.
Additional reasons to consider adding wheatgrass to your healthy lifestyle:
- Vitamin A aids in increased white blood cells to fight viruses
- Nutrients found in Vitamin K stimulates production of adenosine triphosphate important for energy and repair to both muscle and brain cells
- Increase in Vitamin K (especially for many women) can reduce fatigue after a few weeks
- Chlorophyll can lower appetite stimulating hormone known as leptin
- Chlorophyll can increase the appetite satiating hormone known as cholecystokinin
Directions for a Tropical Wheatgrass Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- ¼ cup rough chop celery
- 1 cup rough chop pineapple
- ½ - 1 ¼ t. wheatgrass powder
- Ice cubes (optional)
• Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• The Dirty Dozen: The following foods are considered to be most contaminated with chemicals. It is especially important to consider eating the following foods in organic form: potatoes, spinach, apples, strawberries, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, nectarines (imported), and peaches
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Trader Joe’s
• Whole Foods Market
• For more information about the benefits of wheatgrass, click on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about fiber benefits by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence
• Click on the Vitacost link in this sentence for *organic wheatgrass powder prices around $20 for 8.5 oz of super-fine powder that is excellent for smoothies.
• For more information on * The Dirty Dozen foods, click on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.