On February 20, Nutri-Vet LLC released information about its voluntary recall of Nutri-Vet and Nutripet brands of Chicken Jerky Products due to possible Salmonella contamination. These treats were manufactured at a United States based supplier, which has stopped production and distribution of the chicken while the FDA and the manufacturer investigate the source of the contamination.
The recalled Chicken Jerky Treats were distributed nationwide to retailers and also through online sales from April 2012 through February 2013 with best buy dates ranging from April 20, 2014 through October 3, 2014. Only the following products of Nutri-Vet LLC are potentially affected and being recalled (by item number, product name, size and UPC code):
- 76-0081 NutriPet Natural Chicken Fillet Strips 16oz 76-0081 (No bar code)
- 50704 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Joint Health 5oz 669125507049
- 50705 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Joint Health 15oz 669125507056
- 50706 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Glossy Coat 5oz 669125507063
- 50707 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Glossy Coat 15oz 669125507070
- 50708 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Stress and Anxiety 5oz 669125507087
- 50709 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Stress and Anxiety 15oz 669125507094
- 50710 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Fresh Breath 5oz 669125507100
- 50711 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Fresh Breath 15oz 669125507117
- 50712 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for SENIOR Dogs 5oz 669125507124
- 50714 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Healthy Digestion 5oz 669125507148
- 50716 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats for Healthy Weight 5oz 669125507162
- 50701 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats 5oz 669125507018
- 50702 Nutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats 8oz 669125507025
- 50703 NNutri-Vet K9 Natural Chicken Breast Treats 16oz 669125507032
- 99044 Nutri-Vet K9 Hip & Joint Chicken Breast Strips 8oz 669125990445
If you have purchased these products, stop feeding them to your pet and return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund. If you have additional questions you can contact Nutri-Vet LLC at 1 (877) 729-8668, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time.
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has any of these signs, please contact your veterinarian. Remember that Salmonella can be transmitted to humans as well as your pets. Wash your hands after handling any chicken product, to prevent the spread to at-risk humans and pets.
Comments? Questions? Story information, product to review or breaking news? Please contact Natalia Corres at Natalia@bakwep.com.
Enjoy this article? Don't forget to "like" or share it. You can receive email alerts when new articles are available. To subscribe click on the "+Subscribe" button above.