Notre Dame College of Ohio won the team title at the 2014 NCAA Division II Wrestling Championships on their home turf in Cleveland by a 35-point margin Saturday night.
The Falcons snatched the championship with 99.5 points, denying second-place University of Nebraska-Kearney a third straight title.
Cleveland-based Notre Dame had four finalists… and all left Public Hall as champs. Jonatan Rivera started the winning streak by claiming the 157-pound title, followed in rapid succession by Eric Burgey at 165, Joey Davis at 174, and, at 184, Garrett Lineberger. Burgey and Davis both won titles last year; Davis just completed his sophomore year with a perfect 72-0 college record.
Defending champs Nebraska-Kearney earned 64.5 team points, with Romeo Cotton winning the 197-pound crown for the Lopers.
Other individual champs crowned in Cleveland include 125-pound champ Ben Sergeant of University of Findlay, Central Oklahoma’s Casy Rowell at 133, North Carolina-Pembroke’s Daniel Ownbey at 141, Frank Cagnina at 149 for Central Missouri, and, Kutztown’s Ziad Haddad, who won the heavyweight title.
Match Results -- Championship Finals
- 125: Ben Sergent (University of Findlay) dec. T.J. North (Augustana), 7-4
- 133: Casy Rowell (Central Oklahoma) dec. Daniel DeShazer (Nebraska-Kearney), 3-2 TB2
- 141: Daniel Ownbey (UNC-Pembroke) dec. Joshua Myers (Ouachita Baptist), 2-1
- 149: Frank Cagnina (Central Missouri) dec. Edwin Cooper (Upper Iowa), 6-2
- 157: Jonatan Rivera (Notre Dame College) dec. Cory Dauphin (Central Oklahoma), 5-2
- 165: Eric Burgey (Notre Dame College) dec. Chris Watson (Central Oklahoma), 4-2
- 174: Joey Davis (Notre Dame College) dec. Adam Walters (University of Findlay), 4-1
- 184: Garrett Lineberger (Notre Dame College) pinned Travis McKillop (Pitt-Johnstown), 4:54
- 197: Romero Cotton (Nebraska-Kearney) dec. Julian Smith (McKendree University), 8-7
- Hwt: Ziad Haddad (Kutztown) dec. Jacob Mitchell (Cal Baptist), 5-4
Final Team Standings (Top 20 Placers)
- Notre Dame College of Ohio, 99.5 team points
- Nebraska-Kearney, 64.5
- Maryville University, 58.5
- Ouachita Baptist, 56
- Central Oklahoma, 54.5
- St. Cloud State, 51
- Lindenwood, 48.5
- University of Indianapolis, 46
- Pitt-Johnstown, 44.5
- McKendree, 43.5
- UNC-Pembroke, 38.5
- Cal Baptist, 38
- University of Findlay, 35.5
- Ashland University, 34
- Upper Iowa, 33
- Newberry College, 29.5
- Kutztown, 29
- Central Missouri, 27.5
- Colorado Mesa, 23
- Western State Colorado, 22
It's the most exciting time of the college wrestling season. Subscribe today! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments (including conference and national championships), as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!