My little boy had his second birthday party this past weekend. We had a special birthday party planned with family and I wanted to make something delicious for dessert. I thought cupcakes would be easier for the little kids to eat. My husband's favorite is yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and my son wanted the same. I didn't want to just make a boxed cake, so I searched Pinterest on how to doctor up a boxed cake mix.
I found this recipe for Doctored Up Cake Mix on My Baking Addiction and decided to give it a try. The cupcakes turned out excellent and so moist! They still taste like the yellow cake I was used to, but even better! Even a few days after the party, they are still very moist.
Doctored Up Cake Mix (recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction)
1 (15.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple sauce
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract :
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat together the cake and pudding mix, sour cream, oil, apple sauce, eggs, and vanilla. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
3. Using a large cookie scoop, distribute the batter between 24 muffin wells; about 3 tablespoons of batter per well.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow cupcakes to cool inside muffin tins for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack. Once cupcakes are cool, top with your favorite frosting (I used chocolate canned frosting)